cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wrong address due to error at car dealership affecting credit. HELP!

tag
CreditJourney007
Frequent Contributor

Wrong address due to error at car dealership affecting credit. HELP!

Hi all,

I hope this is the correct place, but I leased a car about 2 months ago from Mazda, with Chase as the finance company. I bank with Chase primarily so the account is on my homescreen and so I was just paying it that way and not looking at the online statements.

I got an alert that I had a new address on file with my credit reports. Apparently the finance person at the car dealership submitted a totally different address than mine - not anthing close to mine, so I know it's not a typo error. I called Chase and had them correct the address and then submitted a dispute with Experian online. I tried to do Equifax online and I failed those identity verification questions because nothing pertained to me! It was obviously this other person's information - I know sometimes the information doesn't pertain to you as a "curveball", but none of the 4 questions were anything remotely close to me.

I have to call EQ tomorrow to do it over the phone since they're closed. And as of right now it's not reporting on TU.

My question is, do you think I have to do anything else? Has this happened to anyone else?

I'm not looking for new credit luckily but I don't want this to continue to be a hassle. Should I call NexusLexus and dispute? is my information always going to be intermingled with this persons? Like in the future could they get questions about ME? I don't know if I'm being too paranoid about this, but I've never had this happen to me before. 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
KLEXH25
Valued Contributor

Re: Wrong address due to error at car dealership affecting credit. HELP!

Have you talked to the dealership to clear up things on their end? It sounds like they put another client's information on your paperwork. Although this will probably be a hassle to fix, I think you'll be ok and it will be straightened out eventually. I'm sorry I have no additional information or advice to give, but I'm sure someone here will pipe in. 

Message 2 of 5
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

EQ is a hassle to deal with, but it can be fixed. As for Chase, even if they changed the address, it will stay attached to your file. It will probably never pop up again unless someone digs. I used to do skiptracing for chase auto and when I pulled someone's info, it brings up all associated addresses and phone numbers. The erroneous address will be listed. The address couldnt be removed without me filling out a form. Of course, nobody knew how to get the form, just knew that it existed, so normally it would just be flagged and notated that it was a bad address. It didn't actually affect anything in the system or somebody's accounts, though.

Message 3 of 5
CreditJourney007
Frequent Contributor

@KLEXH25 wrote:

Have you talked to the dealership to clear up things on their end? It sounds like they put another client's information on your paperwork. Although this will probably be a hassle to fix, I think you'll be ok and it will be straightened out eventually. I'm sorry I have no additional information or advice to give, but I'm sure someone here will pipe in. 

I emailed them today to get it correct, however, I already corrected it with Chase, so I'm not sure what else they can do. I've also been getting Mazda mail (i.e. welcome kits) sent to my right address, so it must have gotten corrected on their end.

Anyway, Experian can't delete it because Chase is still reporting it? They told me to contact Chase (done) and when they update it, I can remove it from their site. Lord almighty....

Message 4 of 5
CreditJourney007
Frequent Contributor

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

EQ is a hassle to deal with, but it can be fixed. As for Chase, even if they changed the address, it will stay attached to your file. It will probably never pop up again unless someone digs. I used to do skiptracing for chase auto and when I pulled someone's info, it brings up all associated addresses and phone numbers. The erroneous address will be listed. The address couldnt be removed without me filling out a form. Of course, nobody knew how to get the form, just knew that it existed, so normally it would just be flagged and notated that it was a bad address. It didn't actually affect anything in the system or somebody's accounts, though.

Thanks - I know Chase can be a pain. I was an AU years ago on the Freedom card and anytime I apply for it, I get a letter saying I already have the product even though I was removed years ago. 

I will call them Monday to see if they can update now to the credit bureaus so I can call and have this address removed. 

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.