cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Your total Citi limits relative to income?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Your total Citi limits relative to income?

Paging @AverageJoesCredit!

His Macy’s Amex alone puts him above 130% exposure to income. Smiley LOL

Message 21 of 56
Dave4fun
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Dave4fun wrote:

Great Topic BBS!

Citi ThankYou      CL  $27,400

Citi Double Cash CL  $12,500

Macys  CL   $10,400

Income:  $115K annual

About 43.5% Exposure.   Citi will not grant any more increases unless they can do HP. 

It also looks like if you have $375k in total limits that you're at about 325% of your income, probably > 300% when you last received a Citi CLI I'm guessing?

You know BBS...I can't say for certain. It has been a couple of years I suppose. My assumption is your estimate is probably pretty close to that 300% total exposure Smiley Happy

FICO 8 EQ: 841, TU: 842, EX: 842 Total Rev CL: $547,000 - CHASE/CITIBANK/DISCOVER/ USBANK/AMEX/COMENITY AMEX /BMO/NORDSTROM/MACYS/FNBO/ JCPENNY/TARGET/CHEVRON/1ST UNITED CU/PATELCO CU/SYNCHRONY/ VENMO VISA Sig/ DILLARDS AMEX/ PENFED PLAT REWARDS/PENFED PLOC/WELLS FARGO. AAoA 13 years
Message 22 of 56
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Yeah, ive hit my limit alrightSmiley Wink. 43.8k in limits and well income not that great lol. Macys got me bad lol. I should cld myself but it goes against my inner grain to ask for a cld. I am after all a real MFerSmiley Wink
Message 23 of 56
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
Yeah, ive hit my limit alrightSmiley Wink. 43.8k in limits and well income not that great lol. Macys got me bad lol. I should cld myself but it goes against my inner grain to ask for a cld. I am after all a real MFerSmiley Wink

So wait, even without the Macy’s card you still have $18.8K in exposure?! Smiley Surprised

Message 24 of 56
Anonymous
Not applicable

So what percentage of total Citi limits does that put you at relative to income?

Message 25 of 56
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Well not sure on % but basically i have more than double my income with Citi . I think i also forgot an account so actually my exposure is 53.8kSmiley Wink Yes @Anonymous, its crazy what ive accomplished on my incomeSmiley Wink
Message 26 of 56
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well not sure on % but basically i have more than double my income with Citi . I think i also forgot an account so actually my exposure is 53.8kSmiley Wink Yes @Anonymous, its crazy what ive accomplished on my incomeSmiley Wink

One of these days I’m gonna have to hit you up for some tips... you’re near 300% exposure vs income! Smiley Surprised Smiley Surprised Smiley Surprised

Message 27 of 56
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well not sure on % but basically i have more than double my income with Citi .

Wow.  This seems to be a true outlier case, unless you know of anyone else in the same boat?  From most of the data I've seen, people tend to top out somewhere in the 40%-50% range or so with their Citi limits relative to income, give or take.

Message 28 of 56
iheartwings
Valued Contributor

I have 2 cards with Citi (DC and Costco Anywhere).  My total exposure with Citi is about 26% of my base salary (if you subtract out tax deferred retirement contributions, then it's about 30%). I think I still have room on both cards to continue to grow.  DC grows more than Costco. 

This is higher than what Chase is willing to extend to me (they've told me I'm at max exposure with them, given my spend, when I last applied for a card with them) - which is 23% of my base salary (26% after tax deferred contributions). 

Message 29 of 56
Anonymous
Not applicable

@iheartwings wrote:

This is higher than what Chase is willing to extend to me (they've told me I'm at max exposure with them, given my spend, when I last applied for a card with them) - which is 23% of my base salary (26% after tax deferred contributions). 

The wording of this is a little curious.  It doesn't sound like you're at max exposure for Chase given your income, but rather your limits are capped where they are because of your spend.  The phrasing above to me suggests that if you increased your spend that perhaps they'd be willing to further increase your limits, thus meaning that income isn't the constraint.  It's sort of an odd way that was presented to you, I suppose.

In many ways, income is King to spend when you think about it, as [limited] income can cap your spend.  What I mean is that income can influence spend, but spend cannot influence income if that makes sense.  If income is sufficient [relative to spend] a lender may see opportunity there for greater spend on the consumer end and perhaps give them incentives to spend more through a targeted promo offer, CLI, APR reduction, etc.  I would think that if income is the constraint to growth that additional spend may not be expected, as many times it may not be possible.

Message 30 of 56
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.