Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

a brag post, thanks in part to MFF

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

a brag post, thanks in part to MFF

I started this journey out around 4 years ago with the intention of cleaning up my horrible credit, and getting a mortgage.

I started cleaning up my credit with the methods and advice here, then got a first progress secured card with a 300 limit (not really recommended looking back, but it did report to all 3 bureaus) and then a cap1 unsecured card with a 300 limit in their "credit steps" program. I still have the relationship with Cap1 and have upgraded that card a couple times ending up at the quicksilver listed below.

Less than a year in I am approved for a 250k mortgage (more actually but that put the payment where we wanted it) and moved into our own home.

My starting score on the lowest bureau was 531, this was a combination of almost everything you can do wrong.

Now it's low 700s on every bureau and climbing.

My then fiance is now my wife and always had great credit, but not much history at higher limits. Today her scores are consistenly 760+

Below are my and my wife's current cards and limits.

Amex Gold - NPSL
Cap1 Qs - 10,000
Synchrony Walmart - 10,000
Citi Diamond Preferred - 9,800
Citi Double Cash - 8,900
Synchrony Lowes - 8,000
Synchrony Paypal - 8,000
Citi Bestbuy - 6,500
DW Amex BCE - 6000
Care Credit - 6,000
Synchrony Amazon - 6,000
Wells Fargo Tempurpedic 0% apr - 5,700
Citi Home Depot - 4,500
Car Care one - 4,000
Citi Costco - 4,000
Blue Nile - 3,500
Discover IT - 2,500
Local CU card - 3,000
My Amex BCE - 1,500
Cap1 Cabelas - 500 (stuck)

108k ish of available credit, currently at 13% util and dropping.

I've made a LOT of mistakes and carried balances when I shouldn't have, but I've also had a lot of opportunities by fixing my credit. Getting into real estate investing now and will be using my credit score to secure financing for rental properties.

If you're new here, or been here a while but still have a long ways to go, don't give up, it works.

and DON'T carry a balance.

Cheers

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: a brag post, thanks in part to MFF

Congrats on the successful rebuild and encouraging words for those who are looking to do the same. Inspirational!

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

It may be a brag post, but you deserve to be congratulated. Good job!

Message 3 of 8
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I started this journey out around 4 years ago with the intention of cleaning up my horrible credit, and getting a mortgage.

I started cleaning up my credit with the methods and advice here, then got a first progress secured card with a 300 limit (not really recommended looking back, but it did report to all 3 bureaus) and then a cap1 unsecured card with a 300 limit in their "credit steps" program. I still have the relationship with Cap1 and have upgraded that card a couple times ending up at the quicksilver listed below.

Less than a year in I am approved for a 250k mortgage (more actually but that put the payment where we wanted it) and moved into our own home.

My starting score on the lowest bureau was 531, this was a combination of almost everything you can do wrong.

Now it's low 700s on every bureau and climbing.

My then fiance is now my wife and always had great credit, but not much history at higher limits. Today her scores are consistenly 760+

Below are my and my wife's current cards and limits.

Amex Gold - NPSL
Cap1 Qs - 10,000
Synchrony Walmart - 10,000
Citi Diamond Preferred - 9,800
Citi Double Cash - 8,900
Synchrony Lowes - 8,000
Synchrony Paypal - 8,000
Citi Bestbuy - 6,500
DW Amex BCE - 6000
Care Credit - 6,000
Synchrony Amazon - 6,000
Wells Fargo Tempurpedic 0% apr - 5,700
Citi Home Depot - 4,500
Car Care one - 4,000
Citi Costco - 4,000
Blue Nile - 3,500
Discover IT - 2,500
Local CU card - 3,000
My Amex BCE - 1,500
Cap1 Cabelas - 500 (stuck)

108k ish of available credit, currently at 13% util and dropping.

I've made a LOT of mistakes and carried balances when I shouldn't have, but I've also had a lot of opportunities by fixing my credit. Getting into real estate investing now and will be using my credit score to secure financing for rental properties.

If you're new here, or been here a while but still have a long ways to go, don't give up, it works.

and DON'T carry a balance.

Cheers

Thanks so much for sharing this inspiring story. It just goes to show that with patience, persistence, and dedication, the things we want in life  are within our reach. 

Kudos to you and DW. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 4 of 8
CAS2019
Frequent Contributor

A fantastic success!  Congratulations!!

Starting Score: 784
Current Score: 784
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Club Member" border="0" width="50" height="67" align="right">

Message 5 of 8
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

Congrats on your marriage, your successful rebuilding, and EVERYTHING!!!
Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 13k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 6 of 8
LakeLife
Established Contributor

Well done on your rebuild!

Dwight Congrats.gif

Message 7 of 8
HighAchiever
Established Contributor

Congrats!!! You have inspired me to keep at it...

“Most people work just hard enough not to get fired and get paid just enough not to quit.”
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Inquiries: Experian - 4 | Equifax - 3 | TransUnion - 3

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.