cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

before i get into the meat of the matter......

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

before i get into the meat of the matter......

I've been reading this forum for about 2 weeks now and I'm hooked.....honestly.  The information on here has been priceless to me.  So I finally decided to take the plunge and sign up.  So here I am (heavenly music playing)Smiley Happy

Let me give you a brief (which may turn out to be not-so-brief) intro. on my situation.  I graduated from Grad School in 2004 and left out of the US to work overseas, now I'm thinking I need another degree so, I'm aiming to get back into gradschool Fall 2008.  Basically, I'm going to need loans and therefore my credit could use some repair work.....serious repair workSmiley Sad before I dare apply for a loan.

I got a copy of my TransUnion and Experian reports and the scores were 568 and 602 or something like that, either way.....nisht gut (picked that up on Meet the Fockers and it stuck)!!!  Thing is, when I left in 2004, it was a few months before I could find a job and I did not pay my bills...I know, I suck.  By the time I was ready to pay, the minimum payments were ridiculous so I decided that since I was out of the US and would be for a while a DMP would not be a bad idea, so I enrolled 3 accounts in a program, BOA, CB and CO.  I'll tell you more about those as the saga unfolds.  Two accounts, my Express Card and my Credit Union CC I was able to keep afloat and actually I only have 1 30-day late on the CU CC.....yay me!  Express has a 150 day late.  In the last 2 years or so, nothing has been late, nothing, so I think that is a plus. Plus no inquiries since I left the US.

But this is where my initial line of questioning lies for the Fico Pundits:  I have 2 accounts in collections, one for Cingular Wireless and the other for ATT and yes, I did it.  I tried to flee the country without paying my utilities.....I'm ashamed....no really, I amSmiley Sad.  Cingular is $219 and ATT is $347.  It appears based on my CRs that the Cingular was sold from one CA to another, so now someone called Nationwide has it and Cavalry Portfolio has the other.  What to do????  Ok you guys are gonna say PFD (I printed out and studied those initial posts by Tuscani (really helped btw), highlighted and all).  BUT! 

Has anyone had experience with either of these CAs? 

I'm going to be getting some funds in a couple months which I plan to use to get out the DMP and pay down those other 2 cards.  As I said, I'll get more into those when the money comes and I see how much it is. First its the CAs, given that I read on here the CRAs are telling the CA who can pay and who can't, I want to deal with them while I'm still poor Smiley Wink

Think I can get to 700 by next May/June???  huh?! huh?!

You responses and input would be treasured.

PS: wasn't so brief after all......sorry.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: before i get into the meat of the matter......

ATT should be no problem getting them to PFD.  I moved a couple of times without realizing I owed them $275.  Once paid, the account disappeared.  I didn't even ask, but probably good to do so.

No info on other.
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Rocket,

But are you saying I should go back to ATT even though they sold it to Nationwide and try to negotiate with them?  It's been 3 years think they still know who I am, plus I can't find an old bill with the AccNo ( I looked). 
Message 3 of 13
sl
Established Contributor

I would start with AT&T.
Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

In my case ATT used a company calle Pallisades.  They are the ones I arranged payoff with, and they deleted their collection record after I paid.
Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the help guys, I'll get on it and hopefully it'll work.  I'll start with ATT as you have suggested. I've been reading around on some other messageboards and read that Cavalry is bad business, but I plan to limit communication to 'by letter only', so that should shield me, I hope. 

One more quick question, the CA that sold the Acc to Nationwide is also reporting on my CR. It says "settled for less that the full balance" but they certainly didn't settle it with me.  How do I deal with them??
Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have experience with both companies. Pallisades has my AT&T cell bill for $496 and Calvary has my Ford account for $3500.

Pallisades evidently sold my account to another agency but they are still the ones reporting it. I disputed the account with all 3 bureaus and send a PFD to Pallisades. It's been over 10 days now and they have not replied and the TL on my TU report has been removed. I anticipate it will drop off the other agencies as well. I have no issue paying the bill but they have simply not replied.

I sent Calvary a PFD offering 55%. They did not respond either in writing but I got a call tonight from them. I was not able to get the supervisor to agree to the PFD but they did accept my offer after an attempt to counter me to 80%. I know I could drag this out and maybe I get the PFD somewhere in the future or maybe I don't but after 3 years I just want this put to bed. They are faxing me the agreement tomorrow morning and I will make my payment then. Just remember to get it in writing before you pay anything.

Good luck with the PFD with both places. Hopefully you are a better negotiator than I am and you get both PFDs.
Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the advice.  Better negotiator than you? I highly doubt it.  But I will give it my best shot and keep you updated.  I really appreciate the input.  I feel so out of my element with this whole Credit/Fico thing and yet, I can't get it out of my head.  This stuff affects your quality of life man!!!  Dang it!! What happened to eating well, exercising and getting plenty of rest?!

Went off the yellow brick road there for a sec.....sorry!Smiley Happy

But thanks for the advice and I appreciate the support.
Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was wondering if you guys could help me. I too have a collection with West Asset Management it was for ATT for the amount of $204. I paid this collection off 2/07 they reported in 9/06. Does anyone know who I would write to, to have it removed. Would I write Att or West Asset Management? I would write a gw letter right? Does anyone know where I would send letter to. I actually had just separated from my ex husband and I fell behind on a few things.
Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

bump
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.