Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bestbuy fraud

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

bestbuy fraud

someone just tried using my best buy account to buy 2 apple product. here's what happened:
- got a weird push notification for yahoo key auth on my phone. someone was trying to login from Revere, Massachusetts. i selected No.
- half hr later best buy emailed me that they have received my order ?????
- 2 minutes later, best buy emails me that they were unable to process my payment and to update my payment info.
- i then went to best buy site and immediately it asked to verify thru email or txt. account was already locked out!?! it also mentioned that it was going to wipe the billing info???
- got in, updated password and yep, there was an order! 2 apple ipads totalling $1500+
- payment was an MC with an ending number that maybe at one point was mine(?) idk but it didn't look familiar *check with all my MC cards old and current. i'm inclined to say that it wasn't mine. fortunately it showed 'failed authorization'.
- pick up store was Saugus, MA which is like 3000 miles away from me!
- pick up person (see pic https://i.imgur.com/WI5gnR0.png ) most definitely was unknown to me.
- email was xxx@yopmail.com where xxx was my email(!) ~ googled yopmail and came upon this ~ http://bit.ly/2BGuqPa
- went looking for chat to get some support but i guess best buy doesn't do chat support.
- i then cancelled the order myself. saving screenshots.

not sure what to really make of this as i'm almost certain the payment method used wasn't mine. all i know is my best buy account got hacked and was used for a large store pick up purchase. *haven't really used my account in a long time. last purchase was 2 yrs ago.

i hate calling. should i even bother contacting best buy about this? i cancelled each order selecting 'I didn't place this order', updated my account and no payment method on file.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: bestbuy fraud

Sorry to hear but definetly call Best Buy and inform them of fraud if you believe it was.
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

yep. already did. thanks! 

*i was able to 'trick' chat to chat with me instead of calling (question about purchasing instead of question about old purchase). 

Message 3 of 5
iced
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

someone just tried using my best buy account to buy 2 apple product. here's what happened:
- got a weird push notification for yahoo key auth on my phone. someone was trying to login from Revere, Massachusetts. i selected No.
- half hr later best buy emailed me that they have received my order ?????
- 2 minutes later, best buy emails me that they were unable to process my payment and to update my payment info.
- i then went to best buy site and immediately it asked to verify thru email or txt. account was already locked out!?! it also mentioned that it was going to wipe the billing info???
- got in, updated password and yep, there was an order! 2 apple ipads totalling $1500+
- payment was an MC with an ending number that maybe at one point was mine(?) idk but it didn't look familiar *check with all my MC cards old and current. i'm inclined to say that it wasn't mine. fortunately it showed 'failed authorization'.
- pick up store was Saugus, MA which is like 3000 miles away from me!
- pick up person (see pic https://i.imgur.com/WI5gnR0.png ) most definitely was unknown to me.
- email was xxx@yopmail.com where xxx was my email(!) ~ googled yopmail and came upon this ~ http://bit.ly/2BGuqPa
- went looking for chat to get some support but i guess best buy doesn't do chat support.
- i then cancelled the order myself. saving screenshots.

not sure what to really make of this as i'm almost certain the payment method used wasn't mine. all i know is my best buy account got hacked and was used for a large store pick up purchase. *haven't really used my account in a long time. last purchase was 2 yrs ago.

i hate calling. should i even bother contacting best buy about this? i cancelled each order selecting 'I didn't place this order', updated my account and no payment method on file.

Never trust people from the North Shore.

And yes, you should contact Best Buy about this. If someone got your number, you need a new one. If you don't have an account anymore, you should close it so this doesn't happen again. At a minimum, Best Buy needs to know this was a fraudulent attempt. Ignoring someone trying to break into your home isn't going to deter them from trying again.

Message 4 of 5
marty56
Super Contributor

Happend to me last year.  I live in TX and card was used in CA for 2 XBoxes.  Ironically it gets declined online so many times I rarely use it anymore.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.