Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

big difference in scores

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

big difference in scores

My FICO 8 scores are Equifax 706 TU 685 and Experian 703  I just appled for a loan for a camper and was denied because they said my credit score (Equifax) was a 595.  Can there really be that much of a discrepancy with scores?

Thanks

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: big difference in scores

@Anonymous wrote:

My FICO 8 scores are Equifax 706 TU 685 and Experian 703  I just appled for a loan for a camper and was denied because they said my credit score (Equifax) was a 595.  Can there really be that much of a discrepancy with scores?

Thanks

Yep, there sure can. Do you have collections in your files? If they pulled Fico 04 it places a lot more emphasis on collections than Fico 08.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

No collections. One late payment (30 days) from 2008. No other derogatories. Do have high credit debt but all bills paid on time.
Message 3 of 7
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks

Hi and welcome to myFICO.

I deleted the duplicate thread you posted in Understanding FICO Scoring. Posting across multiple boards tends to lead to confusion.

Thanks for your understanding.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Many lenders use specialized industry scoring models, such as for a car loan or mortgage, or even their own proprietary ones. What scoring model did they use?

Message 5 of 7
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes.  There are many scoring models out there used by creditors so don't assume that all scores are equivalent.  Different models evaluate data differently.  Depending on the models you're comparing there can be drastic differences.  See also the Understanding FICO Scoring subforum and its stickies as well as prior discussions on scores as they are a very common topic.

Verify the scoring model used by the creditor for the loan versus relying on only the CRA.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

There's definitely some lag, and I'm starting to wonder if it's worth it to be paying a monthly fee. I even got an "all clear" alert on my Experian, which I KNOW had changed and been updated by Experian.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.