cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can I use a USPS po box or UPS mailbox to app for a credit card?

tag
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: can I use a USPS po box or UPS mailbox to app for a credit card?

Soooo, gonna say noSmiley Wink interesting that you may have to move and have no clue when or where. If you work for the CIA, bless you snd best of luckSmiley Happy
Message 11 of 17
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

sure, there are several ways to do this.  POBs have a physical address as well, just use that and the POB # as a suite or unit #.  the other way is continue to use your old address and have the card sent to the pob if that is an option on the app - it is with us bank and many others.  if you have an existing account with amex and many others you can update the sent to address ahead of time.  if you are apping for an amex without being with them they will first use your old address and after 10 days it will go stale and you can request the card go to the place of your choosing.  these workarounds are common on farms or compounds with multiple addresses.  good luck

Message 12 of 17
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
 I see that question asked a lot too "have you lived at the address for at least x amount of time?" 

I've not seen that as a requirement (or even a preference), just that if you haven't lived at your address for X (maybe two years) you have to provide detail on your previous address.   

Message 13 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase and Capital One allow you to use permanent street address and po box address as mailing address for receiving cards.
Message 14 of 17
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
PO Boxes and other mailbox-only addresses (LexisNexis-maintained database) are considered high-risk by virtually all creditors. You may cause unnecessary headaches with false fraud application concerns. I would just wait as the others have stated.

Do "mailbox only addresses" included things like a UPS store mailbox which the give you a street address and your mailbox is a Suite number? I used to use those in the 90s & early 2000s when I traveled alot on business, lived alone, so I didn't want things like bank & CC statements sitting in my house mailbox that anyone could open and help themselves. In Vegas from 1999-2005 I used a UPS store mailbox service that gave me an address of 1350 E Flamingo Ave. Suite 402. I never had any problems using that address for banking and credit cards, but they may have tightened security measures these days. And that UPS store address is still on my credit report as a previous address.

Message 15 of 17
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@FinStar wrote:
OP, echoing what others have mentioned, Federal Regulations require all FIs to be compliant with the USA Patriot Act which, as part of KYC, a verifiable physical address is required, no exceptions.

That being said, some credit applications provide the flexibility of an alternate address field where a PO Box can be used (i.e. Chase, Barclays, Citi, etc.). However, the primary address still needs to be a physical one.

If you are an existing customer who has a PO Box for mailing or as an alternate address, a physical address still needs to be on file and/or documented whenever any new product applications are submitted.

Can the physical, primary address work if the USPS doesn't/won't deliver mail to it? That's a problem out here in the boonies in many places - you get a street address which is used by EMT services to find you, but you have to have a PO Box as the postal service won't deliver mail there. One small town near me is entirely PO boxes, the post office there does no delivery service at all. And when I did an election mailer a couple years ago from voter registration rolls which use the street address most of them got returned as "undeliverable", you have to know the PO box #.

Message 16 of 17
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@bourgogne wrote:

sure, there are several ways to do this.  POBs have a physical address as well, just use that and the POB # as a suite or unit #.  the other way is continue to use your old address and have the card sent to the pob if that is an option on the app - it is with us bank and many others.  if you have an existing account with amex and many others you can update the sent to address ahead of time.  if you are apping for an amex without being with them they will first use your old address and after 10 days it will go stale and you can request the card go to the place of your choosing.  these workarounds are common on farms or compounds with multiple addresses.  good luck

I have the USPS street address service for my POB.  When you sign up for the service you specifically agree not to use it in place of a legal physical address.

More info:  https://postalpro.usps.com/node/2728

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.