Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

charge off dates changed on credit report

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

charge off dates changed on credit report

How can i get the dates changed back to original charge off dates on my credit report one went from 2014 changed to 2019. Which isnt true the first and last late payment was in 2014 not 2019. Can someone help me and tell why it changed. Thank you.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: charge off dates changed on credit report

@Anonymous wrote:

How can i get the dates changed back to original charge off dates on my credit report one went from 2014 changed to 2019. Which isnt true the first and last late payment was in 2014 not 2019. Can someone help me and tell why it changed. Thank you.

Hi and welcome to the forums

More than likely, you're seeing date of last update, no changing dates involved. Update on negative account makes delinquency appear more recent, but no re aging is involved. 

As long as CO remains unpaid, updates are possible and can happen at any time. 

If it's  a paid CO, could you please post a screenshot of the account in question? 

Also, you can also grab a copy of free annual credit report. Most accounts will have DOFD annotated on them 

Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: charge off dates changed on credit report

The CRA does not provide any codes for, and does not seek to store, the date that a creditor took a charge-off.

It is not reported to a CRA.

When a creditor reports CO to a CRA, they are merely reporting that they have, at some prior time, taken a charge-off, and thus are reporting either the current delinquency status or a prior month's delinquency status under payment history profile, as the delinquency status of CO.

More specificly, the CRA credit reporting manual provides creditors the option of either reporting a delinquent account under the current status of the number of months of delinquency (e.g., 60-late, 90-late, etc) OR, if the debt has additionally been charged-off, simply as CO, which designates that at some prior point the creditor has taken a CO and the debt remains delinquent and is not reasonably expected to be paid.

Reporting of CO under either the current or a prior payment history profile status thus does not update the charge-off date.

It merely states that the debt was delinquent on the reported date.

Since a creditor must also report the date of first delinquency when reporting a charge-off delinquency status, the length of the delinquency period is then calculated for scoring and exclusion purposes using the period from DOFD up to the date of the reporting.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.