cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

closed credit cards still on credit report

tag
nyclizzo

closed credit cards still on credit report

I have a few old credit cards that are closed and still showing up on my credit report.  After how long are they legally supposed to come off and how do I go about it? Do I send a letter to the credit card company or write a dispute letter with myfico??

Thank you!!

Elizabeth

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: closed credit cards still on credit report

They will stay on from 10 years from the date they were closed if reporting closed.

Why do you want them off? Removing will tank your score if they are helping your history.
Message 2 of 4
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

Leave them alone, leave them alone. When I first started my credit repair, I made the mistake of disputing my oldest CC, basically, because it had shown my high balance to be over the limit. This has caused irreparable damage to my FICO scores. If there are no baddies showing up, then you should leave it alone.

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 4
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

ByrdMan wrote:
Leave them alone, leave them alone. When I first started my credit repair, I made the mistake of disputing my oldest CC, basically, because it had shown my high balance to be over the limit. This has caused irreparable damage to my FICO scores. If there are no baddies showing up, then you should leave it alone.

Ditto. My failed logic was that it was better to have no accounts on my report and start fresh that it was to keep history with a few imperfections. So I disputed everything, good and bad, and that set my score back by years.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.