Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

credit disaster recovery

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

credit disaster recovery

In the last 18 months my wife and I filed bankruptcy and had our home foreclosed.  During the process we reaffirmed on our two vehicles, which we have paid off.  Besides the obvious negative hits on our credit report we had a Fed tax lien which was satisfied thru the foreclosure process.  We currently have several credit cards  with very low balances, which we could pay off, but choose to make payments in hopes of establishing a history of "paying on time".  Through all this we have an avg score of 590...shocking.  Simulations say we can achieve a high 600 to low 700 score in 24 months.  btw the BR was discharged a year ago. 

Questions:  How do you get tax liens to show "satisfied" or paid on reports?

Other than the credit cards, we are not going to carry any other loans.  Good idea?

Our plan is to buy another house in 18-24 months with  20% down payment.  

Wishful thinking, or possible? 
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Pestman you are well ahead of me when I started. I was on...

Pestman you are well ahead of me when I started. I was one of those you thought once you file BK you are sentenced to debtors prison for the next ten years.  The most important thing is to maintain agood payment history on your current accounts, now on to your questions:

How do you get tax liens to show "satisfied" or paid on reports?  Dispute it with the credit bureau.  You should have received some sort of documentation that the lein was paid off or satified.  Include it.  A friend of mine simply called the IRS and was sent a letter and a copy was sent to the bureaus and it was updated immediately

Other than the credit cards, we are not going to carry any other loans.  Good idea?
One thing the Fico system dings you on is having a good 'mix' of credit.  Once you get back into 'desirable' range again, try adding some installment bank loans but stay away from finance companies.

Our plan is to buy another house in 18-24 months with  20% down payment.  

Wishful thinking, or possible?   Very possible.  Most lenders required you to be two years out of bankruptcy before they will touch you.  You will need to give good cause for the BK  as well as a copy of the court papers so that they can see eveything that was included but if you have scores of 620 or above you are still in prime lending territory.
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.