Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

credit disptue

tag
justanotherquestion
Contributor

credit disptue

why is equifax asking for a copy of my drivers license, ss card and utility bill for a dispute?

i am not comfortable sending copies of these documents, one no idea how the information is stored and 2 states "will be provided to other compnaies"  what gives? is there some language i can include to them saying i am not sending this informaiton?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: credit disptue

@justanotherquestion wrote:

why is equifax asking for a copy of my drivers license, ss card and utility bill for a dispute?

i am not comfortable sending copies of these documents, one no idea how the information is stored and 2 states "will be provided to other compnaies"  what gives? is there some language i can include to them saying i am not sending this informaiton?

Welcome to MyFico

Clearly they are trying to verify your identity but without knowing more it's hard to say why.  What is the nature of the dispute?

Message 2 of 6
justanotherquestion
Contributor

accounts that not mine and mulptiple disputes i did not authorize.

i feel like if i send this information they will not store is securely, and surely will come back and say oh the id matches, which it will not cause these are not mine. if i refuse to send, which i am going to do, what is my  recourse outside of getting a consumer attorney

Message 3 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

You have alleged that someone is using your identity.

It is prudent and permissible for the CRA to thereafter protect against what you are asserting..... thst someone is using your identity without your permission.

The CRA has significantly more sensitive info than a copy of your drivers license and proof of your address.

I would recommend sending what they have requested as prudent protection.

If/when you take the next, and more appropriate, step of either filing for block of information from your credit file that is asserted to be related to identity theft, or request a fraud alert, the requested proofs are explicitly authorized under FCRA 605A and 605B.

While not explicitly listed under FCRA 611(a) as a prerequisite for a normal dispute, your dispute would, in my opinion, warrant such a request by the CRA, and is for your further protection.

Message 4 of 6
RonM21
Valued Contributor

I think Robert's suggestion is correct. What you are disputing seems to hint at identity theft or fraud. In that case, I think them asking you for that info is the correct action. All they are trying to do is protect against any possible further damage.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

They ask me for the same information, I faxed them on Monday. Then I get an email today asking for the same info again. 

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.