cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

credit karma chage how they score a report?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: credit karma chage how they score a report?

@Revelate wrote:

@ddemari wrote:
My new ck scores are almost the exact same as my current EQ AND TU fico 04 scores. I am one of the few that the 04 is fico model is VERY nice to compared with 08. My 04s scores are 744 TU 709 EQ and 08 678 TU ans 670 EQ.

Where are you getting your TU '04 score from?  I thought Lending Club was the last option but they changed their underwriting to FICO 8 I think a while ago.

If we're talking FAKO vs. FICO, while I agree with the sentiment there are some scores even FICO which are pretty much useless in the current market, and of the FAKO options Vantage Score is by FAR the best one to receive as some lenders actually use it to underwrite products on... Chase Freedom's being the most common example that people would be familiar with here at least historically.

That said I ignore the scores, the data is where it's at for CK and that's best in the industry given it's cost.  Nobody else even comes close.

Just curious.  Do you know who uses the Vantage score?   Not questioning that some do but was wondering.  Is it in the cc world or elsewhere?

I do agree that CK does have a lot of useful information.  I just wish so many people weren't so score focused and worried more about what's in their files and CK is a good place to look for it.

Message 11 of 24
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

@ddemari wrote:
My new ck scores are almost the exact same as my current EQ AND TU fico 04 scores. I am one of the few that the 04 is fico model is VERY nice to compared with 08. My 04s scores are 744 TU 709 EQ and 08 678 TU ans 670 EQ.

Where are you getting your TU '04 score from?  I thought Lending Club was the last option but they changed their underwriting to FICO 8 I think a while ago.

If we're talking FAKO vs. FICO, while I agree with the sentiment there are some scores even FICO which are pretty much useless in the current market, and of the FAKO options Vantage Score is by FAR the best one to receive as some lenders actually use it to underwrite products on... Chase Freedom's being the most common example that people would be familiar with here at least historically.

That said I ignore the scores, the data is where it's at for CK and that's best in the industry given it's cost.  Nobody else even comes close.

Just curious.  Do you know who uses the Vantage score?   Not questioning that some do but was wondering.  Is it in the cc world or elsewhere?

I do agree that CK does have a lot of useful information.  I just wish so many people weren't so score focused and worried more about what's in their files and CK is a good place to look for it.

Just CC world I suspect, maybe some installment loans from various places; Chase has underwritten my and many other people's Freedom application with a Vantage Score and that's been confirmed elsewhere by someone who I believe works in Chase underwriting..  Cheaper to use, and has I think on the order of 10% market penetration from some numbers I've seen.

To be fair though, FICO is still the only game in town when it comes to mortgages and likely auto lending, and I put CC's way further down on my list of importance than either of those two, so I don't really track it much, but VS is still the best of the non-FICO provided scores, and probably tracks the closest as well to a real FICO score at least in terms of direction if not absolute value.

ETA: competition is a good thing and I suspect some of the things in FICO 9 weren't included in a vacuum: VS has done some smart things and I think is pushing FICO to improve as well as a result.

        
Message 12 of 24
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@trc1962 wrote:

Has credit karma changed their score version to vantage or something different? I am just so frustrated with this score change with no explanation.

They've been rolling out a site redesign.  The old design still uses the TransUnion New Account model.  New design uses VantageScore 3.0.

@trc1962 wrote:

I am just so frustrated with this score change with no explanation.

Both site designs tell you the scoring model next to your score.  CK's blog has also mentioned the change.

In any case, don't obsess over specific numbers -- especially FAKO's.  If you want to focus on something then focus on the data in your reports.  You can't expect scoring models or the models used to remain static either.  The models and which ones are in use evolve and change over time.  If you're expecting things to remain the same then your expecation is your issue.

Message 13 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit Karma is worthless for a score. It is valuable for a credit monitoring site only.

I have been stuck at 664 for months at credit karma. Yet myfico, and barclay's trans union score is 730.

Message 14 of 24
nyancat
Established Contributor

I don't understand why people are calling the VantageScore a "FAKO" - a term coined to refer to something that mislead as being representative of your FICO score. Far from it, VantageScore is selling their product to banks for actual use and one of the selling points is that it is different - and they claim more accurate - than a FICO score.

American Express Blue Cash Everyday - $11,000; American Express Platinum Cashback Everyday - £3,000; American Express Rewards Credit Card - £7,500; Aqua Reward Mastercard - £3,500; Bank of America Travel Rewards - $5,000; Barclaycard Freedom Rewards - £3,500; Citi Forward - $5,800; Discover It - $10,000; Halifax Clarity - £1,500; HSBC Platinum with Rewards - $5,000, MBNA Everyday Plus - £3,500
Message 15 of 24
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@nyancat wrote:

I don't understand why people are calling the VantageScore a "FAKO" - a term coined to refer to something that mislead as being representative of your FICO score. Far from it, VantageScore is selling their product to banks for actual use and one of the selling points is that it is different - and they claim more accurate - than a FICO score.

FAKO definition morphed here to everything not FICO.

I agree with your point, VantageScore has more relevance to one's credit worthiness than a number of FICO algorithms that have been released (FICO 8 Mortgage Enhanced industry option being one such) and it was not developed for educational use like so many other scoring algorithms out there; however, I don't think it's going to be possible to get the forum lingo which is used elsewhere too to change.  It's still a reasonable description, but it just happens to be FAKO++.

        
Message 16 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yup the changed the model. Think about it this way...halfway thru a game the nfl went and changed fg scoring, 2 points for less than 30 yrs 3 for 30-49 and 5 for 50 and over. During the game you had made field goals of 29, 39, 53 and 28. You had 12 points and still have 12. The other team had made 29, 29, 32 and 33. They had 12, but now have 10. Another game a team had made 2 field goals of 52 and 50. They had 6, but now have 10. 

The underlying data didn't change, just the way that you get scored for that data.

Message 17 of 24
ddemari
Super Contributor

TU FICO 04 from 5/3 bank credit card paperwork and us bank. EQ from scorepower at equifax.com.
Message 18 of 24
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@ddemari wrote:
TU FICO 04 from 5/3 bank credit card paperwork and us bank. EQ from scorepower at equifax.com.

Pretty certain the US Bank provided credit scores aren't FICO?  I could be wrong but I thought they'd moved from that model to FICO 8 on their credit card UW too?

Interesting on the 5/3 bank CC, was it stated in the letter out of curiosity?

        
Message 19 of 24
ddemari
Super Contributor

When i obtained my 5/3 card a letter came after the card with my credit
Score and it said Fico 04 - this was last month. Its not a regular score update and same with us bank.
Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.