Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

credit report freeze and hard pull

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

credit report freeze and hard pull

If I apply for a credit card while the credit report was frozen, obviously the credit card compamny will not get any info from the hard inquiry, but will it still show up and count as a hard pull on my credit report? 

Also, can the third party still make a soft inquiry when the credit report was frozen?  Generally speaking, is there any difference regarding the credit reports obtained either by a hard or soft inquiry?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: credit report freeze and hard pull

Hello Chris, if you're really asking whether you can manipulate a lender into taking a soft pull, instead of hard pull, by keeping your CRAs frozen, we do not and are not allowed to talk about that here. Welcome to the forum.
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Hello Chris, if you're really asking whether you can manipulate a lender into taking a soft pull, instead of hard pull, by keeping your CRAs frozen, we do not and are not allowed to talk about that here. Welcome to the forum.

NO, you are reading too much into it.  I simply wanted to know the answer to the questions in my original post.

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Then the answers are:

1. No, it will not show up as a hard inquiry if the CRAs are frozen but you will be denied of the application.

2. I believe once the reports are frozen, only institutions that has prior relationships with you are able to soft pull, like your current lenders, credit monitoring sites like Credit Karma, Credit Sesame...etc., someone will have to verified this as I'm not 100% sure. When I applied for membership for a CU earlier this year to gain access to their CDs, I had to unlock my TU for them to SP.

3. HP and SP contains basically the same information, the difference is really why it was pull, HPs are usually used when someone is applying for credit, SP is mainly for background checks and maintenance.

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Then the answers are:

1. No, it will not show up as a hard inquiry if the CRAs are frozen but you will be denied of the application.

2. I believe once the reports are frozen, only institutions that has prior relationships with you are able to soft pull, like your current lenders, credit monitoring sites like Credit Karma, Credit Sesame...etc., someone will have to verified this as I'm not 100% sure. When I applied for membership for a CU earlier this year to gain access to their CDs, I had to unlock my TU for them to SP.

3. HP and SP contains basically the same information, the difference is really why it was pull, HPs are usually used when someone is applying for credit, SP is mainly for background checks and maintenance.

VERY helpful!

SO if you do NOT currently have a relationship with a financial institution, a CU in your example, even if they are going to do a SOFT pull, you still need to un-freeze the credit report?

Does this hard and soft pull thing applies to the Chexsystems as well?  On the Chexsystems report, it does seperate the inquiries that everyone can see from the ones that only you can see, that sounds like hard vs. soft pull to me. 

Message 5 of 10
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

There are numerous different permissible purposes for a party to pull your credit report.

They are all set forth in detail under FCRA 604.

Credit report freezes and fraud alerts generally do not impose restrictions on credit inquiries that are permissible as an internal account review by your existing creditors of by a debt collector.  They generally apply to any inquiries that are for the stated permissible purpose of a consumer initiated business transaction of a consumer initiated request for new or extended credit.  Before any new business or creditor can normally obtain a credit report, you must be contacted if a fraud alert, of remove the freeze for that inquiry.

Whether or not the inquiry is coded as soft or hard is a totally different issue.

Any consumer initated request for new credit can normally be coded as hard, and the coding as soft is discretionary on the part of the creditor.  

CRA policy clearly provides a separate inquiry code for internal account reviews, and if coded as such, they are automatically treated as soft inquiries, and are not shown by the CRAs in credit reports made available to parties other than the named consumer.

If a party makes an inquiry that lacks permissible purpose or is prevented by a fraud alert of freeze from being filled, no, it will not show as an inquiry.  Inquiries only show in your report if your report is actually provided to the inquiree.

If filling of any inquiry is denied, the toothpaste is still in the tube, and no record of CRA sending of a report is entered into your file.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was trying to get a loan but my credit score information is locked I need it unlocked please
Message 7 of 10
rbentley
Established Contributor

If you placed the lock, only you can unlock it.  If it is frozen you should have a security PIN to unfreeze.  If you have placed a fraud alert you may need to send in a snail mail request with documentation to lift the alert.  You can go to earch CRB website for instructions.

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I was trying to get a loan but my credit score information is locked I need it unlocked please
Only you can unlock your credit profiles. Is it locked for frozen? Credit freeze and credit lock are 2 different things, if it's frozen you will have to ask the CRAs (Experian, Transunion and Equifax) to unfreeze them. If it's locked, you just have to log on to your accounts with the CRAs and click unlock yourself.
Message 9 of 10
OmarR
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I believe once the reports are frozen, only institutions that has prior relationships with you are able to soft pull, like your current lenders, credit monitoring sites like Credit Karma, Credit Sesame...etc., someone will have to verified this as I'm not 100% sure. When I applied for membership for a CU earlier this year to gain access to their CDs, I had to unlock my TU for them to SP.

Some existing relationships go thru and some don't. It's a 50/50 chance.

EQ=850   EX=845   TU=843       0/24       UTIL=$1    AZEO

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.