Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

credit report reporting wrong info

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

credit report reporting wrong info

We are cleaning up our credit report because we want to get a mortgage. Capital one is giving me trouble. Yes I had a charge off Feb 1 2018 from them, however I never knew until I checked my credit report in September that they were still posting a negative mark on my report. So December I paid this off (settlement of $187 w/ $113 left over) I have asked all 3 credit reports to update my report with a 0.00 balance ( I did a dispute) and they all tell me the information is correct. I have a letter from Capital one stating We can confirm that the settlement offer of $187 was offered and satisfied on December 31, 2019. Should my account be $0.00? On my reports it still have $113 past due. I have pdf these letter and everything to the credit bureau but I guess capital one keeps telling them the information is correct. What do I need to do? Can I do anything? On experians website I saw this: When you settle an account, the information will be updated on your credit report to show that a the balance is zero. I just don’t know what to do anymore and I don’t want them to keep dinging my report every month because they all say I still owe $113.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: credit report reporting wrong info

Hi @Anonymous 

Capital One will report twice

First report is your payment, then usually next month they will report settlement with annotation "paid, settled for less"

Your account will reflect $0.00 owed at that time. 

Dont dispute it, and dont go near it, or you will make it worse. 

It will happen soon. This is fairly common way to report settlement/payment after CO

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok thanks 

Message 3 of 4
Remedios
Credit Mentor

You're welcome.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.