Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

creditkarma scoring changed?

tag
ferrari
Regular Contributor

creditkarma scoring changed?

my ck score dropped 50 points without any change on my report

only thing I can think of is that they perhaps changed their scoring algorithm, its almost the same as my FICO score now.

any ideas?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: creditkarma scoring changed?

@ferrari wrote:

my ck score dropped 50 points without any change on my report

only thing I can think of is that they perhaps changed their scoring algorithm, its almost the same as my FICO score now.

any ideas?

Mine hasn't moved.  When was the last time you checked it before noticing the score change?

The only thing I can think of is quite a while ago they changed from using the TU score to the TU Vantage Score ... or vice versa.

Message 2 of 10
wednesdayaddamsd
Regular Contributor

My credit karma score is identical, and has been, to my equifax score here on myfico. My transunion score here on myfico is 100 points lower than my equifax, and obviously, 100 points lower than my tu score on credit karma. YES I know that credit karma uses a fake TU score. Everyone here will jump on me if I don't disclose that!

But I just wanted to add that the EQ score here, and my TU on credit karma are exactly the same. Maybe that will help someone else. P.S. I know factually that my TU and EQ credit reports are identical, if that helps.

Funny thing is, everyone on this site jumps all over anyone who uses another website to get their credit scores, but the scores on this site in my experience with TU anyway, have been very, very far off the mark.

Amex PRG. Amex Blue. Amex ED. Cap 1 Quiksilver. Saks Fifth Avenue. Neiman Marcus. Grandin Road. Target Red Card. Barclay Rewards. Home Depot. Paypal BML. Affirm. Victoria's Secret. Care Credit. Lumber Liquidators. Art Van. Evine. Firestone. Discount Tire. Discover IT.
Message 3 of 10
score_building
Senior Contributor

@wednesdayaddamsd wrote:

My credit karma score is identical, and has been, to my equifax score here on myfico. My transunion score here on myfico is 100 points lower than my equifax, and obviously, 100 points lower than my tu score on credit karma. YES I know that credit karma uses a fake TU score. Everyone here will jump on me if I don't disclose that!

But I just wanted to add that the EQ score here, and my TU on credit karma are exactly the same. Maybe that will help someone else. P.S. I know factually that my TU and EQ credit reports are identical, if that helps.

Funny thing is, everyone on this site jumps all over anyone who uses another website to get their credit scores, but the scores on this site in my experience with TU anyway, have been very, very far off the mark.

Since (believe it or not) the fact that CK TU Fako matches EQ FICO is purely due to chance, it is unlikely to be a useful data point for comparative purposes.

Not sure what you mean that your TU FICO is 'far off the mark'--it is what it is --and the TU pulled here is accurate for the model it presents.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 4 of 10
ferrari
Regular Contributor

I checked it 2 weeks ago and nothing updated since

The only update is that now they show my debt as about 11000 instead of 1000 so they included my auto loan in the debt which they didn't do before, and if they are treating that as a revolving account that could be the reason for the score drop!

Should I be worried? should I pull my TU report? There are no new tradelines and no increase in the bebt amount except the addition of the auto loan.

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@wednesdayaddamsd wrote:

If you are going to compare scores, you need to compare apples to apples or at least fruit to fruit.

It's senseless to compare any score from one CRA with a score on another CRA such as your CreditKarma (TU) score with your EQ FICO.

You can compare different scores (FICO vs FAKO) for amusement purposes if they are for the same CRA.  However, if anything is "off the mark" it has to be FAKO scores -- especially since the overwhelming majority of lenders use FICO. 

Message 6 of 10
GregB
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

If you are going to compare scores, you need to compare apples to apples or at least fruit to fruit.

It's senseless to compare any score from one CRA with a score on another CRA such as your CreditKarma (TU) score with your EQ FICO.

You can compare different scores (FICO vs FAKO) for amusement purposes if they are for the same CRA.  However, if anything is "off the mark" it has to be FAKO scores -- especially since the overwhelming majority of lenders use FICO. 

+1

There is good information from credit reports other than one that gives you a FICO. You can look to make sure the information is correct. The scores other than a FICO are worth very little since no lenders are using them.

Creditkarma is great in that it gives you free access to the info in your TU report. Just don't waste your time thinking that the score is worthwhile. Since it is based upon a different algorithym than FICOs, you can't even rely on them both changing the same direction. About the best you can say is that large changes in your credit information will probably result in both scores changing in the same direction.

The CMS Guide sticky above has lots of great info

Message 7 of 10
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@ferrari wrote:

I checked it 2 weeks ago and nothing updated since

The only update is that now they show my debt as about 11000 instead of 1000 so they included my auto loan in the debt which they didn't do before, and if they are treating that as a revolving account that could be the reason for the score drop!

Should I be worried? should I pull my TU report? There are no new tradelines and no increase in the bebt amount except the addition of the auto loan.

Well, this is one of the problems with third-party monitoring reports. Data gets mis-categorized into odd clumps. Unless the real underlying TU report has re-classified your auto loan as revolving, your FICO shouldn't have changed. Back when TrueCredit was a genuine daily puller for 3-in-1's, I used to see all sorts of screwball things on there. For instance, when you looked at EQ payment history, there would only be a series of X's instead of OK's, and they had my HELOC in some sort of weird category, and reporting dates were flat wrong, and quite frequently, the numbers just didn't match up at all.

Have you seen a full TU report since the auto loan started reporting, or alternatively, a myFICO TU report? (And myFICO reports are third-party monitoring reports, too, and they get some oddball stuff at times.) If the loan was reported correctly at first, it probably is still correct. But if it's new to your reports, it's possible that it was somehow miscoded and is treated as revolving debt, thus throwing off your util.

Two options:

• ignore it, on the assumption that everything's OK on the underlying report, or
  • pull a myFICO TU report and check your score to see if there's been a similar odd change. If you had a FiCO score change, the list of negatives on screen 2 should give you an indication of what has happened, when you compare the list to one from an earlier report with a higher score.

I suppose it might seem like we "jump all over anyone who uses another website to get their credit scores," as you wrote earlier, but it's not attacking people who do so. It's trying to get them and other readers, who might be new, to realize that there are a lot of scoring systems out there, and other than the occasional coincidental matching of FICO/ non-FICO scores, it's just confusing to everyone to bring in the non-FICO scores, and to try to follow and understand them, as you are discovering for yourself. We don't know how various non-FICO (see, I'm being nice and not calling them FAKO) scores are generated, and so since we don't know the formulas on which they're based, we can't analyze what triggers their score changes.

I think that third-party monitoring sites are great for following changes in credit reports. Reports, not scores, and not their advice. Although sometimes the data-mapping from the underlying real reports gets a little wonky and things display in strange places, they are invaluable for following changes in our reports, which in the end, is the important thing. But they throw in their scores and advice as some sort of gravy, and confusion reigns.

It's fine if you want to follow your CK scores, obviously. But this is an example of one of the drawbacks in doing so.

And btw, back when I had TrueCredit, I often saw a non-FICO score there go up while the FICO went down, and vice versa. They never correlated for me, either in actual score or direction of score movement. And that is the experience of many others here.

eta: looks like GregB out-typed me, and very concisely too! Smiley Very Happy

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 8 of 10
ferrari
Regular Contributor

I do have recent reports from all 3 agencies (direct from the CRA website) and auto loan was categorized correctly and has been like that for a year now.

I do have the scorewatch and the TU monitoring here on myFICO. I guess I will just ignore CK and wait until I get my next TU report here.

Message 9 of 10
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Sounds like a plan. CK might correct itself with the next pull.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.