Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dispute success and next steps?

tag
katsr
Established Member

dispute success and next steps?

I just found out that Transunion has deleted a collection that I disputed from my file!!!! (It was a fine for overdue library books from Unique.) However, Experian verified the account after I disputed it. Any thoughts on how to proceed with getting it removed from Exerpian. Thanks again to everyone here. These boards have given me the knowledge and inspiration to get my credit clean up underway!
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: dispute success and next steps?

How old is it?
Message 2 of 11
katsr
Established Member

The fine is from 11/2004.
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is it paid?

Who was it paid too? The OC or CA?
Message 4 of 11
katsr
Established Member

i'm embarrassed to admit that it's not paid. i've heard that Unique is terrible to negotiate with. I'm worried now that I'll reset the clock for another 7 years, if I pay, as I would like to. I'm also worried that if I send a PFD letter, I'll lose any leverage for disputing.
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Read Tuscani's PFD sample. Extends the offer without admitting one owes the debt. You're not required to admit it's yours.
Message 6 of 11
katsr
Established Member

Thanks! Will do.
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Someone on here also went ahead and bought a money order for the ammount owed and send a photocopy of it in with the PFD and had immediate success.  Just an idea!
Message 8 of 11
demitasse03
Valued Member

I am dealing with Unique re: overdue library fines, too.  They have been quite friendly, but have refused to delete from my CR unless they get authorization from the library.  I called the library and they reduced the fine, and I paid it.  I have now asked the library to contact Unique to have the item deleted.  The person I spoke with (circulation manager for local branch) is more than willing to do this, but doesn't have the immediate authority, so she's trying to get it done through her supervisor.  Sounds fairly promising, though.  I'll let you know how it pans out.
Message 9 of 11
katsr
Established Member

thanks so much for the advice. I will follow up as suggested. So great to hear about your success!
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.