Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

has anyone ever thought about this

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

think about it

is data really removed from your consumer profiles?

so we all know what the general meaning of deletion is... but has anyone ever wondered if data removed from your consumer profiles is actually deleted?

just because your report is presented with omitted data doesn't mean the data that you believe was deleted isn't living within your consumer profile.. there's a big difference between data deletion and data redaction.. 

I tend to believe in the core principles of data archiving and retention which leads me to believe all actions events and data will forever live within your profiles..

the data that has to be removed in compliance with state and federal laws probably just gets redacted from your reports at presentation level but governments and others can probably generate intact consumer reports from the date file of origin

just in terms of technology auditing and accountability alone there has to be event logs showing the actions taken against your profile.. so it's probably highly unlikely that your history isn't forever written

just some food for thought..

also makes me wonder what kind of preferred relationships are established with people of high corporate and celebrity profiles where their credit profiles are classified differently then ours with them having dedicated legal contacts etc with these CRAs

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: has anyone ever thought about this

Data is not permanently deleted, it just isn't present/viewable on CR.

Record of all previous entries is maintained. 

It can be provided to lenders for mortgages over certain amount but also to law enforcement if ordered by courts. 

Old names, wrong names, addresses, it's all archived. 

That really isn't news. 

Message 2 of 6
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

think about it

is data really removed from your consumer profiles?

Sure, I've thought about it a lot! Having been a programmer for many years, I know very well how easy it is to 'hide' fields in a database. For example, when I administered the computer system at a furniture store chain, different employees could log in to the same file, but--depending on their credentials--would only see fields that were relevant to them. So a salesperson could never see certain privileged information, while the owner of the company (and I) could.

If you've ever tried DELETING a facebook account, you should know that it doesn't necessarily do what you think it does. I learned the hard way. I thought I had deleted my account 10+ years ago. Why? Because I stepped entirely through their deletion request process, got confirmation e-mail and everything that my account would be permanently deleted after X days unless I reversed it. I did not reverse it. Years later, I heard that there was an innocent way anyone could reinstate their fb account--with no idea they were doing it--and I tried it. Sure enough, there was my account! Just like I left it 10 years earlier. Smiley Mad

So the moral of the story is, I assume that data I've been told was deleted was really just 'hidden' from my sight. I see examples of this over and over again. For example, I'll get e-mail at an address I changed at CompanyZ five years ago, i.e., REMOVED the old address and REPLACED it with the new one. Logging in ONLY shows me the new one in my account. Yet the old address continues getting mail. There's no way for *me* to fix it, since it's not visible to me. I'll call CompanyZ and the CSR will be completely baffled, because they're not seeing it either--so they can't fix it. When that happens, it's because that particular data got copied over to a different database and was never updated in its new location--this happens A LOT with marketing e-mails.

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 3 of 6
805orbust
Valued Contributor

I am quite paranoid-leaning and I've been deleting all my old photos from Facebook methodically for about 3 months... kinda makes me feel like an idiot now... Totally believable. 

Message 4 of 6
805orbust
Valued Contributor

WOW... wonder how much of our Myfico posts will eventually factor into our social credit score... only a matter of time before that is an afterthought. 

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Considering very site collects personal data it seems rether obvious/feasible to assume that the right program could peice it all togther, espeially considering said site sell your info.  So for all the people who are unaware or simply don't care it causes a major problem for us all when the time actually comes for change and we'll all be left speechelss at how it really does affect everyone. 

What I find comical is that there are laws in place concerning privacy yet most of us bypass it by freely giving out our info to corporations with everyday actions by not reading the fine print for apps etc.

And it clearly states in miranda that anything you say can be used against you...

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.