cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to calculate vantage score to get idea of fico score???

tag
sewmuchdebt
Regular Contributor

how to calculate vantage score to get idea of fico score???

okay forgive me if i am way behind on this info. since now experian and transunion both only offer vantage scores on their websites,  i wanted to find out info on this vantage score. so i went googling. an interesting aspect that came out was if you multiply your vantage score by .86, it will give you an idea what your fico score is!

i also used a website's free fico estimator and it was spot on.

Starting Score: EQ 505 jul09
Current Score: EQ 702 TU 693 EX 692 apr12
Goal Score: 700+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: how to calculate vantage score to get idea of fico score???

Hi sewmuch,

sewmuchdebt wrote:

okay forgive me if i am way behind on this info. since now experian and transunion both only offer vantage scores on their websites,  i wanted to find out info on this vantage score. so i went googling. an interesting aspect that came out was if you multiply your vantage score by .86, it will give you an idea what your fico score is!

Nah.  It's more complicated than calculating with simple math.  FICO uses a different algorithm or set of algorithms than Vantage. They are complex little beasties. As John Ulzheimer, who has worked with both Fair Isaac and Equifax puts it, rocket scientists have nothing on the guys that put your credit scores together.

Unfortunately, it's not like translating celsius to fahrenheit. Vantage varies from FICO in it's very first "step" - Vantage first groups consumers into one of 12 homogeneous segments and then calculates the consumer’s VantageScore within the segment . FICO's scoring "buckets" and all the intricacies within the "buckets" are different. That is why your Vantage score can go down, while your FICO score goes up - and vice versa.

The most predictable way of determining your FICO score is to pull it, or check it out when a creditor pulls it for you. See Barry's latest blog entry on Lenders Providing Scores.

The FICO Estimator is a great tool - also available here

Message 2 of 5
marty56
Super Contributor

OT but it is interesting that even though the CRAs developed the Vantage score as a joint effort, they don't all offer Vantage score reporting and all still offer their own version of a credit score.  TU offers Vanaatage scores for their True Credit monitoring and they only thing I would add is that a change in your Vanatage score may not even mean your FICO score has changed at all which I learned to my sorrow a few years back. 

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 3 of 5
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@sewmuchdebt wrote:

Definitely not a way to figure FICO. I'm one of the few that has a Vantage lower than my FICO when pulled the same day. In fact, my Vantage is typically 40-60 lower which would place my FICOs 100 points lower than what it actually is.

Message 4 of 5
android01
Valued Contributor

@sewmuchdebt wrote:

My Vantage score from Credit Karma is 990.  The highest possible score.  Using the .86 formula you mentioned would put my FICO score at 851, which is higher than FICO scores go (850).  My TU FICO (Credit Karma pulls TU data) is 789 and EQ is 776.  There is no correlation between FICO and Vantage scores, Plus scores or any other scores.  

EQ Fico 8 - 850
TU Fico 8 - 850
EX Fico 8 - 850
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.