Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

installment loan

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

installment loan

I plan to get an installment loan just for sake of my credit score. Is there any lender who report to all CRAs and have low APR? Also since I don't need money, what is the smallest amount of loan I can get?

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

Re: installment loan

for what?

NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 2 of 19
thankfulheart
Established Contributor

Have you looked into a credit union? 

Starting Score: 10/1/2011 EQ 568 TU 593
Current Score: EQ 664 TU 700 EX 701 (FAKO)

Message 3 of 19
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

I plan to get an installment loan just for sake of my credit score. Is there any lender who report to all CRAs and have low APR? Also since I don't need money, what is the smallest amount of loan I can get?

I'm not a big fan of taking out a loan just to add to your credit mix, it may not result in much of a FICO point gain.   However if you are set on doing this I would start with a local CU as others have recommended.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 4 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

So you mean I just go to a local CU and tell them I want a loan to increase my CS? Or ask for a specific type of loan?

Message 5 of 19
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Can you share some additional information about your credit profile ?   Any negatives or derogatory accounts ?    What is your average age of accounts ( AAoA ) ?

Message 6 of 19
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

I went to a local CU JUST to take out 2 installment loans, to add to my credit mix.
1 was a 1k loan over 12 months. The loan was placed into the savings account, and the montly pmt is auto-drafted right from the money the loaned me.
The other was a motorcycle loan for 24 months, also auto drafted from savings, as I have my p/t check direct deposited to my savings account, to satisfy that loan.
The interest amount, at least to me, are minimal in the overall grand scheme.  I get a FICO bump, and grow an even more solid relationship with my CU, so when the time comes for another loan, they'll not hestitate to help me out.
5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 7 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@pizzadude wrote:

Can you share some additional information about your credit profile ?   Any negatives or derogatory accounts ?    What is your average age of accounts ( AAoA ) ?

no negative. oldest account 20 month. AAoA 14 month. FICOs are between 740 and 750

Message 8 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Repo-ed wrote:

I went to a local CU JUST to take out 2 installment loans, to add to my credit mix.
1 was a 1k loan over 12 months. The loan was placed into the savings account, and the montly pmt is auto-drafted right from the money the loaned me.
The other was a motorcycle loan for 24 months, also auto drafted from savings, as I have my p/t check direct deposited to my savings account, to satisfy that loan.
The interest amount, at least to me, are minimal in the overall grand scheme.  I get a FICO bump, and grow an even more solid relationship with my CU, so when the time comes for another loan, they'll not hestitate to help me out.

Can I ask the type and interest rate of that 1k loan?

Message 9 of 19
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@pizzadude wrote:

no negative. oldest account 20 month. AAoA 14 month. FICOs are between 740 and 750

Looks like you are in great shape with your FICO® scores, honestly I don't think that you need to do anything right now other than let your accounts age with positive payment history.
Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.