installment loan

tag
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

Re: installment loan

@pizzadude wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@pizzadude wrote:

Can you share some additional information about your credit profile ?   Any negatives or derogatory accounts ?    What is your average age of accounts ( AAoA ) ?

no negative. oldest account 20 month. AAoA 14 month. FICOs are between 740 and 750

Looks like you are in great shape with your FICO® scores, honestly I don't think that you need to do anything right now other than let your accounts age with positive payment history.

if your planning on building a relationship with a cu then yes an installment loan would help you for relationship purposes but if the sole purpose is to score boost it wouldnt be worth it. if your trying to be borderline 800's on the score it might take several years of paying your bills on time for that to happen

NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 11 of 19
Lasardo
Established Contributor

BCF, So glad you asked the question. I got a CD that can start at 1k up to 5k. It is .44% of the amount/payments .it shows as an installment loan. Let me explain.. For example: you can put 44 dollars a month into a savings account (CD)..at 2 years the funds are available to you and it shows up on your credit report as an installment loan. I went with 2k (88 a month) it shows positive (green) on my report as an $2000 installment loan and boosted my score 17 points immediately. I have just started paying on it so as long as I keep my payments on time it will continue to increase my score. I am curious how much my score will increases once I atually start payments. I have only found one bank that does it but you may want to ask around. I love the fact that I have savings while improving my credit at the same time. If you want the information I will pm it to you. Good luck.
CS 728- 01/13 from 554-12/11
Goal: 800
Message 12 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can you give me the name of that bank. I have never heard of CD that reports to credit bureaus.

Message 13 of 19
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Can you give me the name of that bank. I have never heard of CD that reports to credit bureaus.

Sounds funny.  May be more to it.

Anyway since I fall firmly in the camp of getting installment loans on a report for just about anyone, I simply did a secured CD loan with USAA.  Effective interest rate of 2%.

Likewise I got a decent boost, though I had an auto loan hit around hte same time too.  With your scores, YMMV, wouldn't be surprised if it's a short-term negative but longer term it'd be nothing but goodness if you don't have an auto or mortgage loan (or other installment loan) already on there.

        
Message 14 of 19
Lasardo
Established Contributor

It sounds like any local bank may offer this..never the less I sent the info to you.
Message 15 of 19
FrugalRican
Blogger

If you can get a CD-secured loan, then it might be worth it.

Otherwise, you might as well get a credit card with an annual fee.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 16 of 19
Lasardo
Established Contributor

I earn intest off my CD and do not pay fees plus I save $$ while improving my credit score
Message 17 of 19
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

I did this in 2007 through chase bank. It paved the way for a mortgage in 2008. My chase banker recommended this. He also got me a freedom card with a small limit.
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 18 of 19
Lasardo
Established Contributor

Just received a email that my score has increased to 644 from 554. I have removed several negative items from my report, I have been added as an AU on one card (30 points) and have now been paying for 1 month on my CD. I think once I continue with these on time payments (auto w/d) I should see more of an improvement. Hope this information helps. Good luck
Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.