cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

is it a illegal to add made up authorized users?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

is it a illegal to add made up authorized users?

Have a few authorized user's on my card and apparently if I add one more I get $200 statement credit.

The thing is I don't have any one else living under my roof and don't trust someone else.  Is it a crime/illegal if I make up an authorized user or a varation of my name?  For example if my name is John Doe, can I make up authorized user by the name Johnny Doe?

My card does ask for a social but it's not required, if you say you don't have it they just say "ok it's not needed now".  I haven't added socials to my actual authorized users and they've been on my account for years. 

Of course I'll be responsible for charges and all that, I don't plan on committing fraud or anything of that nature, probably won't even use it, simply trying to get a $200 bonus lol. 

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: is it a illegal to add made up authorized users?

@Anonymous wrote:

Have a few authorized user's on my card and apparently if I add one more I get $200 statement credit.

The thing is I don't have any one else living under my roof and don't trust someone else.  Is it a crime/illegal if I make up an authorized user or a varation of my name?  For example if my name is John Doe, can I make up authorized user by the name Johnny Doe?

My card does ask for a social but it's not required, if you say you don't have it they just say "ok it's not needed now".  I haven't added socials to my actual authorized users and they've been on my account for years. 

Of course I'll be responsible for charges and all that, I don't plan on committing fraud or anything of that nature, probably won't even use it, simply trying to get a $200 bonus lol. 

5ms

Message 2 of 18
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Pretty sure this falls under credit card fraud. If anything, you should add someone you don't trust to help them with their credit, but don't give them the card.

Message 3 of 18
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

REALLY?!?!?!?!?!

A Broker told me years ago when I was a Realtor that if I needed to ask an unethical question, that I already knew the answer.

Just think about it. You would be providing false information for monetary gain. Even if it was not illegal, it is providing false info, and it would surely shut down your credit cards and those of your AUs once detected. And believe me, it will be detected— if not sooner, definitely later.

Is unsavory behavior and the resulting consequences worth $200? I surely hope not!!!!!

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 4 of 18
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Who on earth would give $200 for adding AU?
Message 5 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is this real life? 🙄
Message 6 of 18
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Op, it is not worth the risk of trying to do that under any circumstance. I understand what you were thinking and why, but I would recommend playing it safe on this one. You don't want to be caught up in anything like this.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 7 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Who’s social would you use? Hence the fraud
Message 8 of 18
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Fraud: Wrongful or criminal deception intended to result in financial or personal gain. With a fake or altered name. Nuff said................

Message 9 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can e-adopt someone in the garden thread then AU him/her, I know quite a few members who are always looking for e-parenting.
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.