Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

just payed off my credit cards!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

just payed off my credit cards!!

Hello folks I am new on this site and I made a choice and I sold my car and payed off my credit cards. So here is the catch I called everyone that I had a credit card thru and asked if I can settle on the account. They were very cordial and some of the credit cards I had the customer service rep reduced my debt by 50%. However they told me on my credit report it will show my account has not been paid in full but has been settled. I was told on the first month my credit score will not change but on the second month I will see a difference in my score. As of now I ran a free credit report and score and Equifax says I am at a 489 on my credit score. Yea I know this is terrible this is the results of not paying on my credit cards some which were a 120 days late on payments. My question is will I see a big differnce in my credit score after I pay these CC off?? Thanks for any help.........
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: just payed off my credit cards!!

If the CC are COd   FICO doesn't see any difference between paid & unpaid!!!!

The CCC will report settled for less & will continue to report for the rest of the 7 years.

IF this is COd  send the OC a PFD.   You do ot want a CO on your CR if you can help it!
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

sorry I`m not sure what OC or PFD means please in layman terms for me
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

You will find that we all use abbrev. for many things. This is the tread with all the abbrevs. listed

OC = original creditor

PFD = pay for delete
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

The CCC never said anything about a charge off hopefully this is not the case just want to improve my score.
Message 5 of 10
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

HappyDays wrote:
If the CC are COd   FICO doesn't see any difference between paid & unpaid!!!!

Not true. Yes, if it were a paid or unpaid CA, then no difference. But DW had a $760 balance with an org. $250 CL on a 5 yr old CO CapOne. Her utilization on that card was of course over 300%.

The balance then changed to $0. If I recall correctly, DW's EQ FICO went up 56 points, TU 40 and EX only 4. There were no other changes to her report and had compared it to each report pulled earlier that week as part of a scheduled report pull. The status never changed. It still says CO acct.

The increase in scores was mainly due, I believe, to a lower utilization as the CO did play a major role in her total utilization.

And yes, OP, you still want it removed. The CO status is not helping you. But now it is easier to GW for removal or change.
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

So are you telling me that these accounts that I payed off are CO`S?? How do I correct the problem?? All I want is my credit score to go up from a 489. thanks for the help!!!
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

If I read your original post correctly, you had high balances on credit cards, but the credit cards were otherwise, despite a few late payments in the past, in good standing. You sold your car to generate cash to pay the credit cards off. However, you asked for the debt to be reduced, and the credit card rep said that could be done but the account would be closed and reported as settled, and you went for it to have the credit card "monkey" off your back.

I've got good news and bad news. The good news is you did stop the financial bleeding and close the accounts in a manner in which you won't be liable for further balances, being sued or pursued by debt collectors. That's a positive.

On the other hand, you unwittingly threw your FICO score under the bus. You see, an account that's "settled" counts as a charge-off, which is a major negative to FICO scoring. Unfortunately, FICO scoring doesn't care if you gracefully settled with the creditor or you thumbed your nose at the creditor and you're being pursued by debt collectors. It's a negative of the same magnitude, and several such negatives would certainly explain your FICO score being knocked down well into the 400s.

As far as what to do, that really depends on your financial status. If you can get the CC accounts re-opened and can afford the payments, that would reverse the damage provided of course you get the negative reporting removed. Otherwise, you're looking at a long climb back to FICO grace...
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay I sold my baby to pay this stuff off and now I`m told that this will not improve my credit score??? WTF??? I`m sorry not trying to be negative I was just under the impression that once these are payed the I can expect a higher score and possibly get another car what a dissapointment..........
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Unfortunately, in a word...yes.

Now if you had paid off the accounts completely and then closed them...well, I seldom recommend closing an account in good standing, but at least you would not have racked up derogs from the "settled for less than full amount" notation.

Unfortunately, all too many debt counselors and loss departments give advice in ignorance of its ramifications on FICO scoring...
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.