Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mint.com - free EQ score?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

mint.com - free EQ score?

Hi, all.  While on the hunt for free credit scores, I came across mint.com, which is offering free EQ scores.  Does anyone know the frequency in which the scores update?  What about the score type - FICO or VS 3.0?  Other?  Thanks.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: mint.com - free EQ score?

They just recently moved from every 3 or 4 months, to a monthly update, I've had them for years so that's a welcome benefit, if they can just get the bill due dates updated right they would be golden. As far as which version score, it's not a Fico 8 mines is showing almost 70 points lower than my EQ FIco 8m I took a look at my CK EQ score and it's close to that, which is the Vantage 3.0, give a take a few days on the actual dates each one was pulled last, I'll hedge funds and say that's a VS

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

They just recently moved from every 3 or 4 months, to a monthly update, I've had them for years so that's a welcome benefit, if they can just get the bill due dates updated right they would be golden. As far as which version score, it's not a Fico 8 mines is showing almost 70 points lower than my EQ FIco 8m I took a look at my CK EQ score and it's close to that, which is the Vantage 3.0, give a take a few days on the actual dates each one was pulled last, I'll hedge funds and say that's a VS

If that's the case, then I'm sticking with CK, which already offers Vantage 3.0 EQ and TU scores.

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good to know.  Thanks for the replies!

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

It is not a VantageScore 3.0. Mint's score is about 70 points lower than my CK EQ score and about 80 points lower than my EQ FICO 8 score.
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I guess that opens that mystery again. Hm.  Thanks for sharing.

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Somebody posted on the forums a couple months ago about a cool smartphone app they discovered that gave you a free FICO 8 Classic drawn on Equifax data.  I think it was an app made by some kind of lender.  But I do remember you didn't have to actually get a loan -- you just had to sign up with that lender.  I guess the lender gets to hawk its loan products to you via the app, which you can simply not respond to.

Sorry that I can't remember any thing more.  Did anybody else see that post?

PS.  Citibank cards are a way to get a free FICO 8 Bankcard Enhanced score drawn on Equifax data.  You can get a free FICO mortgage score (EQ) if you open a bank account at DCU.

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just googled Mint Credit Score and immediately found this:

https://credit.mint.com/

It includes this language:

The credit score provided under the offers described here use the Equifax Credit Score, which is a proprietary credit model developed by Equifax. The 3-bureau scores are each based on the Equifax Credit Score model, but calculated using the information in your Equifax, Experian and TransUnion credit files. The Equifax Credit Score is intended for your own educational use. It is also commercially available to third parties along with numerous other credit scores and models in the marketplace. Please keep in mind that third parties are likely to use a different credit score when evaluating your creditworthiness. Also, third parties will take into consideration items other than your credit score or information found in your credit file, such as your income.

Thus, not a FICO score or a Vantage score.  Just a propretary model that no lender uses.  "Educational" is code for "worthless."  Vantage scores are far more valuable.

Google knows everything.

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi guys @CreditGuyinDixie I found what you were referring to, thanks to Djgrolyos!

Djgrolyos wrote:

Lenny App-Free EQ FICO 8 Score Monthly
Djgrolyos Valued Contributor
Feb 16
In case anyone needs one-EQ has always been my one report I didn't have (since Citi hates me)
I have it on myFICO.com but I like to have others.

Anyway, not sure it Android has it but iOS has an app called lenny. It is a lending app where they give personal loans but only to members of CA. If you don't live in CA tho you can still join and get the free EQ fico 8 score every month and they say they are branching out to other states next month.

Anyway, it's nice to have another free option for a true EQ FICO 8 score.
FICO 8 Scores: TransUnion=795/Equifax=771/Experian=760 Recent Approval: U.S. Bank Premier Line Plus: $15k at P+7% Favorite Cards/Most Used: Discover It Card/U.S. Bank Cash+ Be Kind; Love Trumps Hate
Labels: FICO announcement FICO Score versions non-FICO credit scores

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm actually starting to think I should delete Mint from my iPhone. Not only is the EQ proprietary score (661 as of latest update) significantly off from both Vantage (691), FICO 8 (677) and FICO NextGen/Penfed (693), Mint is claiming that the Capital One payments that I made on time are overdue. Plus which, it uses a LOT of battery charge on my phone.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.