Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

need help with scores

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

need help with scores

lots of questions don't know where to fit in.

First question. I'm not sure if I have levy, but very much I don't know we didn't know that the tax is going to take money from my account.
Speaking terms, me and my ex husband is not legally divorced or separated, we've account from BOA, 10 years and I haven't removed his name. The tax people have found the account because BOA still have him as Primary account holder even if he hasn't touched the account and I'm the one who's putting all the money in.
How will this affect my credit score.

Second, in December/January
I've recieved pre approved from BOA and Discover, my mom told me to instead apply for BOA and I did in January.
I've applied for Discover on February and what I use.
I now want to close my BOA checking account due to what I've read online and so I want to close my BOA cc as well because I'm barely using it, his is to assume I'll pay off the balance in full then close it.

my cc score at BOA says 758 TU.
I think it amounts to 33% of total  credit cards.

my util is always under 10% all accross 3 cc.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
DollyLama
Established Contributor

Re: need help with scores

@Anonymous wrote:

lots of questions don't know where to fit in.

First question. I'm not sure if I have levy, but very much I don't know we didn't know that the tax is going to take money from my account.
Speaking terms, me and my ex husband is not legally divorced or separated, we've account from BOA, 10 years and I haven't removed his name. The tax people have found the account because BOA still have him as Primary account holder even if he hasn't touched the account and I'm the one who's putting all the money in.
How will this affect my credit score.

Second, in December/January
I've recieved pre approved from BOA and Discover, my mom told me to instead apply for BOA and I did in January.
I've applied for Discover on February and what I use.
I now want to close my BOA checking account due to what I've read online and so I want to close my BOA cc as well because I'm barely using it, his is to assume I'll pay off the balance in full then close it.

my cc score at BOA says 758 TU.
I think it amounts to 33% of total  credit cards.

my util is always under 10% all accross 3 cc.

Do not close your checking account until you opened another in your name only. 

It may have not affected your credit file, but you need to find out from either IRS, or BOA, what the seizure of your money was listed as. It may have included you for unpaid taxes on yearly file that was not paid, or a lien, it's hard to tell. If you don't know, and were not told then we on the forums do not know either.

Did it completely empty your checking account, or take most of it and it satisfied the debt whatever it was. If you were listed as also having owed the IRS and not paid in full, they will continue to take money out of the account, and any new accounts you have. If it was something that only was against your estranged husband only, then after you open a new checking account, I would only then close the account so your money is protected from anything further that may ever arise from his taxes owed, debts, etc. 

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

talked to BOA and franchise tax board for 5 hours

Message 3 of 8
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Sentences are kind of disjointed so I’m not sure I understand everything so I’ll answer as best I can.

There’s no reason to be angry with BOA. They are only doing what’s required by law. If your bank account has been levied by IRS, it will continue to take money until it gets the amount owed. If it’s only $200 more, at least it won’t go on forever.

Another poster said don’t close this checking account until you open one in your name only. Good advice.

If this tax owed is only in your ex hubbys name, your scores should not be affected at all. Pull your 3 credit reports to make sure a lien hasn’t been pulled. You can also go to your state’s database, pull up your county, and enter your name to see if any lien, judgement, etc comes up (hopefully nothing). If none, your scores won’t be affected. Do the same for your husband.

If you don’t want the BOA CC, why did you apply for it? You can SD it.

GL2U

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am angry with BOA because of this

Message 5 of 8
ChessChik47
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I am angry with BOA because of this https://www.elitetrader.com/et/threads/**bleep**-state-of-california-taking-money-out-of-my-checking-acct.244815/

this just provides the most comprehensive answer to why my checking account got hit. 
Of course that is also my problem that I didn't removed my ex husband's name from my account yet as of now, because I've never realized banks can actually do things like this.

my ex husband is full of debts, I knew this before we're married, he's making a lot of money each year and yet couldn't pay for his debts is the mystery.

This is the reason why I want to close the BOA account, we will remove his name ASAP, but the debt collectors might stilll keep coming for MY MONEY, because BOA gave them the account number/permission.

I want to use the boa cc for a vacation in March, but discover sent an invite and I got approved, and Discover had cashback, and high CL.

what is SD?

SD = sock drawer; which means to put the card in your "sock drawer" and don't use it/forget about it for a while.

Message 6 of 8
DollyLama
Established Contributor

I know you are upset with BOA. But honestly, any other bank would do the same. They were looking for any account with his name, they found a checking account with BOA, unfortunately it was joint account with you, and your money was in it. 

Keep the BOA card, you don't plan on using it, but it will help thicken your file. As long as it is an individual account. Your name only. It will always help in number of cards down the road. You only spoke of 2 Discover and BOA. I agree with poster stating just sock drawer it away, and not use it for awhile. Let things settle down. 

Is there anything you and your husband have together? Check Life Insurance policies, is he your beneficiary? Change it to someone else. Do you own any automobiles or a house, in which both names are on the account? You spoke that you are not divorced, but even in those situations, plenty find out they had a car loan together that one spouse was to be responsible for (ask they were going to keep the auto) and didn't pay it. And state oh the Judge said he/she was responsible. They can still come after you if he/she defaults, it overrides the Judge's decision since the auto loan was taken out before divorce proceedings. 

Protect yourself, and make sure what is yours, stays yours, and yours alone. 

And do check as suggested, very good advice that you also were not part of this checking account seizure of your money, that you are not on lien/ public record. 

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

thank you all for your advice.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.