Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

noob looking for advice re: collections

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

noob looking for advice re: collections

Hey all- I'm new here, looking for a little advice. I apologize for this being so long, and I appreciate you taking the time to read. Here goes..

First off, a little background, I had enrolled with Care One a few years ago (being as naive as I was) in an effort to get my credit in line. A had a few cards and some student loans, and they actually did get my rates down a bit and stopped late/over the limit fees. So I've paid them X amount every month, never missing or being late, ever since signing up. Fast-forward.. about a week ago, I get a voice mail from NCO asking me to call them back regarding a collections account. I ignore it, thinking it was bogus. Well Friday I got another voice mail from them, so I decide to check my credit report. Sure enough, there's a listing for NCO, and a Bank of America (former MBNA) account is showing as being charged off, and sold - but only on Experian, not the two others. Needless to say, my score dropped - from 645 to 588.

I call BoA. The semi-rude person I spoke to tells me that, even though they've been receiving payments from Care One for that account, the monthly amount (85 beans) was not sufficient and was never agreed upon. I was confused, because as far as I knew, the money I was paying every month was going towards my account and everything was fine - no one from BoA or Care One ever told me anything different. I then asked what we could do about fixing this, and he told me that BoA couldn't help me, the account was sold off "months ago" (reminder: I just heard from NCO, and my CR and I would have to deal with the CA.

So, here I am, asking you folks for some advice. Ideally, I would like to deal with BoA on this, to see if they can re-instate my account somehow. I would even be willing to pay more per month. But, I'd like them to remove any negative info from my CR, including the NCO listing. Is any of that even possible? I was thinking of sort of a combination PFD/GW letter. I would say that I have been a long time customer of BoA/MNBA. I have a checking account through them, and in addition to this one account, I have another old CC account with them, that I've also been paying on time for years through Care One (without this problem). Maybe they would agree to except payments - and maybe even delete the info from my CC. But maybe I'm wishing for too much.

What do you guys think? Like I said, I'd like to get BoA to start accepting monthly payments again (and remove the baddies). If not, I guess I would try to negotiate a PFD for less than 100% of the balance ($2400). How should I attack the situation?

Thanks a lot for reading- DP

Message Edited by dmp78 on 01-14-2008 07:57 AM

Message Edited by dmp78 on 01-14-2008 08:02 AM
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: noob looking for advice re: collections

Time to go up the food chain at both the DMP and BofA.

They need to infom you before adverse action.
Have you checked your statements?- are they stating a "past Due" amount?

Are they still accepting your payments?
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

There is no past due stated, and they are accepting payments.
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would raise a HUGE stink -
Get on the phone with your DMP to start- then move up the chain at BofA.
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks for the advice timothy
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.