cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

old navy interest rate switch

tag
leahjoy79

old navy interest rate switch

if i have never used a card i applied for and received because the interest rate was not as advertised.  (it was much higher)  i immediately shredded card upon receipt. should i call old navy and cancel it?  how badly will that hurt my score?  do companies negotiate rates?  how do i get old navy to lower the rate on this card to what the person in the store said it would be?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Jlu
Established Contributor

Re: old navy interest rate switch

Don't cancel it. There is no annual fee. If anything just keep it open and PIF if you happen to use it. Otherwise you will get hurt by an inquiry and AAoA for no reason. Don't be foolish.

AMEX BCP $35k | Citi Double Cash $30k | PenFed PlatRewards $25k | Barclaycard $40k | Chase Freedom $25k | BofA Cash Rewards $40K | US Bank Cash+ $4500 | Discover IT $25k | NASA Platinum-Advantage $40k | CapOne Quicksilver $15k | Amazon Card $10k | Ten years on myFICO from 510 to 780 scores
Message 2 of 8
Jlu
Established Contributor

You shouldn't be revolving credit on a store card anyways. It is frowned upon. It's the reason store cards have 20%+ APR's.

AMEX BCP $35k | Citi Double Cash $30k | PenFed PlatRewards $25k | Barclaycard $40k | Chase Freedom $25k | BofA Cash Rewards $40K | US Bank Cash+ $4500 | Discover IT $25k | NASA Platinum-Advantage $40k | CapOne Quicksilver $15k | Amazon Card $10k | Ten years on myFICO from 510 to 780 scores
Message 3 of 8
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

@Jlu wrote:

You shouldn't be revolving credit on a store card anyways. It is frowned upon. It's the reason store cards have 20%+ APR's.

bam ding ding ding! BINGO! lol excellent advise right here who cares what the apr is on a store card just use it for the discount if its offered and PIF the thing.  If you close the account you wasted an inquiry for nothing

NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 4 of 8
leahjoy79

thank you so much for responding but what does AAoA mean?  i will take your advice and leave it open but i won't use it.

Message 5 of 8
Jlu
Established Contributor

AAoA = Average Age of Accounts. It is a large part of your FICO score. When you open a new account the average age of your accounts go down. The older your AAoA is, the better, for scoring purposes. For example if you have 1 account that is a year old your AAoA is 1 year, but if you open a new account your AAoA goes down to 6 months. If you close your Old Navy account then that account will report on your CR for 10 years and will never get any older than it is now - which will hurt your AAoA in the long run.

Message 6 of 8
Jlu
Established Contributor

The only thing you should be financing are assets (cars, homes, real estate etc). You should never buy anything in a store that you do not have the money in your bank account to pay for. Like the poster above said, use it for the promo and PIF.

Message 7 of 8
tcbofade
Super Contributor

The above logic may hold true for Old Navy, but is not always the case.

My wife has a store card that lists it's APR as 18%.  However, they very regularly have "sales" that involve zero percent interested deals for x amount of months.

We bought a washer and dryer there nearly two years ago...paid zero interest....we purchased two beds and a television there last year...paid zero interest...recently purchased a sofa there, and have 35 months to pay for it with zero interest.

Sometimes, it is OK to carry a balance on a "store card"....just make sure that you're aware and paying attention.  Smiley Happy

04/01/24 Fico 8: EX 763, EQ 799, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 756 03/13/24, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.