cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

paying off old bad debt

tag
arugula

paying off old bad debt

I ahve a question regarding some old debts that I want to clear off my credit report. Is it advisable to pay the collection agency or to pay the original creditor?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
arugula

Re: paying off old bad debt

bump

Message 2 of 5
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forums!

I'd suggest reading the following:

Common Abbreviations

Credit Scoring 101 - great for knowing what is in your credit score and to see how your score is impacted.

What Steps Do I Take - great for learning the repair process.

and Example letters - PFDs, GWs, DVs, etc.

Depends on who is reporting and who owns the debt. Ultimately if the debt is unpaid, you'd send a PFD to whomever is reporting.

Message 3 of 5
arugula

It shows up twice on my credit report, that's what I don't understand. It shows up under both the OC and the CA. If I pay the CA, how does the info coming from the OC get updated? I'm confused. Can someone out there enlighten me? Thanks.

Message 4 of 5
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@arugula wrote:

It shows up twice on my credit report, that's what I don't understand. It shows up under both the OC and the CA. If I pay the CA, how does the info coming from the OC get updated? I'm confused. Can someone out there enlighten me? Thanks.

I just saw your other post. Are both reporting a balance for the same debt? Both the OC and CA can report, but only one should report a balance.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.