Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

paying off student loans

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

paying off student loans

I just paid off one of them. This means that I will have one less installment account ony my report (I have 3 left) Will my score take a dive now the loan is paid off, because I'm showing one less installment acount? I know it's not a good idea to close credit card accounts (revolving accounts). Is it the same with Installment accounts?
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Re: paying off student loans

rifleman wrote:
I just paid off one of them. This means that I will have one less installment account ony my report (I have 3 left) Will my score take a dive now the loan is paid off, because I'm showing one less installment acount? I know it's not a good idea to close credit card accounts (revolving accounts). Is it the same with Installment accounts?

Your score probably won't change much (if any).
Message 2 of 6
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Installment accounts hang around for 10 years as paid off and closed.  So you will be able to see it, and it will help age you  Smiley Happy

It will slightly change your mix of credit, I guess
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 3 of 6
Boswd
Valued Contributor

first off congrats on paying off one of your SL's, it's got to feel good.    Don't worry about the score, like Tuscani said even if you do take a hit, it would be very slight if any at all.   Plus it's a postive trade line that will be on your report for a very long time and it says to future lenders that you take out a loan and pay it bac,   It's win situation all around.   It's good news not bad.
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

ok that's encouraging...I was worried that it would have a negative impact--it make sense that you shouldn't be penalized for paying things off...you ought to be rewarded.
Message 5 of 6
Boswd
Valued Contributor

yeah you get rewarded when you pay on time and in good standing.   I on the other hand won't since it was defaulted.   Even though you have a few more to go.   Treat yourself tonight.   It is one major hurdle you have just cleared.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.