Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

pet savings accounts

tag
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: pet savings accounts

I would think that you could set up any type of passbook savings account and say that it's for your pets. I don't see why it would have to be a special type, and I'm reasonably certain that no bank or savings institution would allow you to say that your pet was a depositor. For one thing, they don't have social security numbers.

Vet care CC's and pet insurance, I've heard of; savings accounts, no. But no reason on earth that you couldn't designate a passbook savings account or MMA or cigar box or piggy bank for their benefit.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 11 of 15
mt2va
Established Contributor

Thanks for the suggestion about the prepaid card.  I might try that & load money as I'm able to. 

Well the vet bill was just over $340.  I gave them $39 I got from selling part of my very small coin collection & $22.50 I had left on a Visa prepaid gift card.  They are holding a check for the rest for 2 weeks so I'll be heading over to eBay to try to cover part of that.  She's doing really well & we didn't have to do IVs just sub-q fluids.  We are keeping her on a bland vet Rx diet for a few days & see how it goes.

My expensive doggie is my 3 year old.  At first they thought he had some type of gastric type upset.  They were treating conservatively with bland diet & Rx but he still wasn't eating (had been almost 10 days since he had eaten) so I took him back to the vet for more tests & that is when they found out about the hemolytic anemia.  Apparently it can be very touch & go.  I found someone on a dog list I'm on for my breed whose dog has the same disease & was diagnosed a week before my Tanner & her dog died despite numerous trips to the vet & money wasn't an object for them in treatment decisions.  He did fine until we weaned him from his Prednisone but the vet didn't want to keep him on it too long because of the side effects.  So we re-started it & after no improvement in a week they upped the dosage.  He's putting on weight & drinking water like crazy.  But I love him & I'm not ready to let him go.  I lost one of my best doggie friends right before I moved away from home & he was only 5 years old.  It still haunts me to this day.  Its hard enough to lose the older dogs but that is pretty much expected.

Forgot to mention re: the pet insurance I had actually thought about it when we got Tanner & now it would be considered pre-existing. 

Message Edited by mt2va on 03-27-2009 04:50 PM
Starting Scores 10/12: EQ 460 (FICO)/TU 502 (FAKO)/EX 474 (FAKO)
(7/14): EQ 572 (FICO)/TU 624 (FICO)/ EX 612 (FICO)

Current (2016): EQ 605 (FICO)/TU 657 (FICO)/EX 646 (FICO)

Message 12 of 15
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

mt2va, whatever the outcome, please remember two things:

1.  You never lose your pet if you keep him in your heart, and

2.  Your pet's loyalty to you over the years needs to be repaid by your obligation to evaluate his quality of life, and then act accordingly.

At some point, you've got to decide what's best for your pet, and keep your own feelings out of it.  It's a tough thing to do.

I truly hope things work out for the best.    

Message 13 of 15
mt2va
Established Contributor

I certainly appeciate what you are saying & with the older dog we have already discussed we aren't going to do any extraordinary measures due to her age & poor health (she has bad hips, knees, elbows, etc)  but something like a stomach upset we felt we needed to see her through.  It just cost a lot of $$$$. 

I've had to make that hard decision more than once about having them put down, but I don't think we are to that point yet.  No one is suffering but they are in need of vet care.  The younger dog we are being more aggressive with treatment because he is only 3 but if it ever comes a time that it looks like he is in pain or no longer able to enjoy things as he used to I will do what I need to do.  I had to let a 5 year old dog go when I was a young adult.  We did everything we could for him but the complications from epilepsy proved too severe. 

I appreciate everyone's good thoughts & I'm off to work on finding a few things to post to ebay to raise some money to help out with the vet bills.

Message 14 of 15
mt2va
Established Contributor

I ended up taking a slightly different route than I initially was looking at.  I opened them their own checking account.  I ran across one of those deals where you get $100 if you open a checking account & today was the last day to sign up & get the bonus.  Initially I was going to do it just for the bonus & close it out but I decided I think I will keep the account since the bonus money is being used for the vet bills I desperately need to pay off.  So the critters are getting their own check card & I did apply for $250 OD protection & they pulled EQ so will be interesting to see if I can qualify for that since I have 2 judgements & 2 collections deleted since I pulled my last FICO score a couple months ago.  (it was in the high 500 range then) 

I do mystery shopping to make a little extra money so I think I'm going to dedicate that money to the critter account.  And for those that asked the animals (well at least 2 of them) occasionally have income.  Now if I had just been able to save all the money from the last litter of puppies we had we would have had a head start on our vet fund.  However, most of that money went to caring for the pups as most folks know it is not a money making endeavor.

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.