cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

please help me understand inquiries.

Auto Loans for ANY Credit Situation. Immediate Response.
Advertiser disclosure
Contributor

please help me understand inquiries.

Inquiries stay on report for 2 years, but only count for 1? I have like 20 inquiries on each report, but have like 15 cards now. I'm gonna garden for at least a year. Only cards I will take are pre approvals with awesome deals. If they send me any! Lol. So will cc card companies see those inquiries next year?
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Established Contributor

Re: please help me understand inquiries.

No. Only your inquiries in the last year (I think they fall off on the 13th month, so technically last 13 months) will show on your reports. The 2 year threshold for inquiries is something only you can see when you pull your own reports. Lenders will only see 1 years worth of inquiries (the same thing you see on myfico reports). 

Message 2 of 7
Contributor

So I will be in good shape if I don't apply for at least a year. Ty
Message 3 of 7
Mega Contributor

Inquires are on your credit report for two years. Computers recognize them for one year. If they do a manual review they will be seen and taken into consideration. 

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 4 of 7
Moderator Emeritus

@mikeb1212 wrote:
Inquiries stay on report for 2 years, but only count for 1? I have like 20 inquiries on each report, but have like 15 cards now. I'm gonna garden for at least a year. Only cards I will take are pre approvals with awesome deals. If they send me any! Lol. So will cc card companies see those inquiries next year?

Although for scoring purposes inquiries only have an impact for 12 months lenders can still see them for 24 months.

Message 5 of 7
Senior Contributor

@mikeb1212 wrote:
Only cards I will take are pre approvals with awesome deals.

I'd recommend not relying on preapprovals.  You're arbitrarily ruling out cards that may be beneficial to you.  Select cards based on your needs/wants.

Message 6 of 7
Legendary Contributor

Reliance on pre-approvals can be a good way to substantially increase chances of approval, and thus there are good reasons to give them emphasis, IF the pre-approval is of the type that is based on their use of a CRA to provide a listing of consumers.

If the credtior obtained a lisiting of consumers from a CRA, their offer must be a "firm offer for credit," which rs required under the FCRA to be granted if the consumer apples and is found to still meet the screening criteria specified by the consumer for generation of their listing.

It can reduce the number of hard inquiries burned by a consumer in the application process.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.