Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Suspicious" BOFA fraud emails are going out

tag
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

"Suspicious" BOFA fraud emails are going out

Just received an email from "BOFA" alerting me to suspicious activity on my "debit card", and to "verify" the following transactions. Of course I did not, and deleted the email.....why?

1..I dont have an any banking accounts with BOFA...just a CC, so no debit card. 

2..Dear "client"...instead of Dear Pizza1

3..Last sign in was yesterday, not 6/22/19

4..Logged onto my BOFA online account just to be safe,  and all is well. 

You have to be very careful and read the entire fine print on these emails from these scammers because they look real, and that they're coming from BOFA, but they aren't. Also, the email address is some weird crazy one.... 

For those that DO have debit cards, I can see how this email would freak someone out, but always call the number on back of your cards, and log into your accounts just to be sure Smiley Happy

FullSizeRender 6.jpg

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: "Suspicious" BOFA fraud emails are going out

Thanks for alert Pizza! How dare an email not treat Pizza with all due respect!😡 shoot, dear client😖

Ps, are you sure your middle name isnt Fraudlein? Fraud follows you like an average joe smashes a Disco ballSmiley Wink
Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Old Bank of America logo. Poor spacing and grammar. It's sad that scammers try this. I usually view the e-mail headers to see where the email is actually originating. Thanks for the post @pizza1. 

Message 3 of 15
Remedios
Credit Mentor

They even included date of last sign in 🤦

I can totally see how a lot of people will fall for this. 

Thanks for sharing, @pizza1 

Message 4 of 15
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Company I work for sends us emails for external and internal people all the time to see if we byte at fake emails like this and as we always take security training for this fun stuff..  If people get it wrong and click on link they have to redo their training and lose x amount of their life that they will never get back lol.  Ya i can see how some would fall for it, but some obvious signs it is fake.  thanks for making others aware of it though pizza... gotta stay off those sites and you wouldnt get these type of emails Smiley Tongue

Message 5 of 15
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@pizza1 wrote:

Just received an email from "BOFA" alerting me to suspicious activity on my "debit card", and to "verify" the following transactions. Of course I did not, and deleted the email.....why?

1..I dont have an any banking accounts with BOFA...just a CC, so no debit card. 

2..Dear "client"...instead of Dear Pizza1

3..Last sign in was yesterday, not 6/22/19

4..Logged onto my BOFA online account just to be safe,  and all is well. 

You have to be very careful and read the entire fine print on these emails from these scammers because they look real, and that they're coming from BOFA, but they aren't. Also, the email address is some weird crazy one.... 

For those that DO have debit cards, I can see how this email would freak someone out, but always call the number on back of your cards, and log into your accounts just to be sure Smiley Happy

FullSizeRender 6.jpg

And, of course you clicked on the "NO" button, right?  Smiley Very Happy

Message 6 of 15
JikIdk

I love how they changed it to say "we may ask for account number, card pin, social security, or tax ID in email messages", instead of never.

Message 7 of 15
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@JikIdk wrote:

I love how they changed it to say "we may ask for account number, card pin, social security, or tax ID in email messages", instead of never.

I caught that too. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 8 of 15
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Thanks so much for sharing @pizza1.

I would also send that screenshot to BOA through SM so they know it’s happening and they can get their IT and security teams on it. I already can see some elderly person clicking that link and their account wiped clean. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

My policy is don't click any external link unless I am expecting one, and hover around to check the link before clicking.

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.