cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"This address has pertained to a business" Notice?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

"This address has pertained to a business" Notice?

Hello Everyone

Please forgive me if this has been discussed on this board, I took a quick look but my vision is poor so I decided to just post my question. I just got my credit reports from all three major bureaus, and on the Experian report (but not the other two) there is a section called 'Notices'. There it says "This address has pertained to a business: (and then my correct and current address appears)" and below that it says "General Building Contractor: (and again, my same correct and current address)".

Facts that might help: I do not work at all and haven't in 16 years, I am permanently disabled. I have never worked or owned/operated a business of any kind while at this address. I live in a single family home that I own. I have never been a "General Building Contractor" and I've never worked for one. I've lived here alone since buying the house and have never dated/married/worked-with anyone who is a General Building Contractor. Also, I've been here for five years and this notice has never appeared on my reports in the past. I've thought back on what I've done in the last year or so (since I last pulled my reports) that might create an inquiry/update/change, and I did get auto insurance last year and they pulled my credit for that, although I have no idea how that would relate to this.... and also, I did hire a man (solo-type guy not a big company) in late 2014 to put a new roof on my home; he might be considered a 'general building contractor', but I paid him with a check and can't imagine how that would result in anything appearing on my credit report. There was nothing credit related in the roof work he did unless he reported doing contracting work at my address or something like that, maybe??

So my questions are:

1. Why on earth might this appear on my Experian credit report?

2. Does this 'Notice' have any adverse/negative effect?

3. Is this something I should dispute or is it harmless and not worth the effort?

Thanks so much for any input,

Mary

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: "This address has pertained to a business" Notice?

Mine says the same thing, but in my case it's because it really is a business address. I have everything sent to my business, including my home utility bills. In answer to your questions, it has never had any impact on my ability to acquire credit. That said, if I were you I would dispute it simply because the incorrect nature of the info would bug the hell out of me.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply. Yes, it's completely baffling and it's making me crazy trying to figure out how it could have happened. It's not just annoying because it's inaccurate, but also causing me concern because I don't want it appearing to anyone that I am running some sort of business on the side while collecting disability benefits! It just shouldn't be there, there's no reason I can think of to explain it, very strange. Everything else on the report(s) were accurate.

Message 3 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

A consumer has the right, under FCRA 609(a), to obtain any information of record in their credit file by making request to the CRA.

I would make a formal request for all information of record in your credit file pertaining to the reporting or entry of any address information that contains reference to any use of the address by a business.

Section 609(a) requests must be accompanied by proof of your identity and the required processiing fee, which is currently $11.00.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have that on my report too, because a business got listed somewhere as being on 8th street instead of highway 8 and our street # is the same.

It didn't effect me getting a refinance, but I did have to sign a statement saying it wasn't me.

That's the only time it was ever an issue that I know of.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.