cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

released lien vs satisfied lien? Need help understanding.

tag
roseann0617

released lien vs satisfied lien? Need help understanding.

I currently have a state tax lien from Delaware that I paid in full back in 2009. The 3 credit agencies have it marked as released. I did receive a letter from DE tax dept. saying it was satisfied in full. Should I be trying to get the crediting agencies to change my status from released to satisfied or does it really matter at this point?
I would LOVE to know if there are measures I can take to get this completely wiped off my report instead of waiting 7 years. All this for $122 dollars owed.......had I known better I would have paid this one way or another back then.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: released lien vs satisfied lien? Need help understanding.

In the eyes of lenders and FICO, it doesn't matter if it is released or satisfied. I would take steps to see about getting it removed. I can't speak to state liens, and YMMV on state of course, but federal liens are fairly easy to get removed once paid. Definitely search around for others in DE.

Message 2 of 10
roseann0617

Thanks for your reply. I've been searching and will continue to search. I even called the Delaware Division of Revenue today. I asked if they had any steps I could take to have this removed ffrom my credit report and they said no I would have to wait the 7 years. I just hate that it sits on my report now after all these years. When I recently tried to buy a car this was the FIRST thing they mentioned..."Oh you have a lien". When I tried to explain that it was paid 4 years ago and it was only for $122 dollars it didn't really seem to matter at that point.

Message 3 of 10
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

+1

As with any type of delinquent indebetness, be it a tax lien, monthly delinquency, charge-off, collection, etc., the reporting is of the occurence of the delinquency at that point in time.  Subsequent status of payment or non-payment of the debt does not alter the accuracy of the reporting of its prior status, and is thus not a basis for deletion of the prior reporting.

Do you know the name of the party who reported the lien to the CRA?  Being a public record, that is often difficult to determine, but if you can identify and contact them, they always have the ability to delete their own prior reporting.

Message 4 of 10
roseann0617

yes I actually have a copy of the cancelled check and I paid that money to the Penn Credit Corp. That is all I know about them.....is what's on my cancelled check. Do you think it would be worth a shot to try and contact them directly?

Message 5 of 10
roseann0617

oh wait! I just went back and re-read your posting....I am not sure if Penn Credit Corp was WHO reported it...all I know is that is where I paid this debt off.

Could they be one in the same?

Message 6 of 10
brother7
Established Contributor

@llecs wrote:

federal liens are fairly easy to get removed once paid.

Is this true? I thought liens stay on a CR for 7 years after being satisfied/released/paid.

If it's possible to get it removed before the 7 years, how should one word the dispute?

04/01/2020 - EX 849 (Credit Scorecard EX FICO® Score 8, range 300-850)
02/20/2020 - TU 850 (Discover TU FICO® Score 8, range 300-850)
03/24/2020 - EQ 884 (Citi EQ FICO® Bankcard Score 8, range 250-900)
GOAL - 800! - App free since 11/22/2017
Message 7 of 10
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

I never went through the process, so bumping for others, but the IRS recently changed their rules were you can get a tax lien off early. I don't know if there's a paperwork request or what, but definitely search in here. It doesn't involve the CRAs or a dispute. It's a request directed to the IRS.

Message 8 of 10
roseann0617

From everything I have read recently....it is MUCH easier to get a federal tax lien removed than a state tax lien. There are actually forms for those with a federal tax lien that you can fill out and submit to have removed.

Still no luck on the state level.

Message 9 of 10
kimmiller112
Frequent Contributor

@brother7 wrote:

@llecs wrote:

federal liens are fairly easy to get removed once paid.

Is this true? I thought liens stay on a CR for 7 years after being satisfied/released/paid.

If it's possible to get it removed before the 7 years, how should one word the dispute?

Yes, you can have a paid federal lien removed very easily but it has to be done through the IRS.  Do a web search for withdrawing a federal tax lien.  The IRS has a form that needs to be completed and mailed - you will also have do to a web search on where it needs to go as the addresses are listed separately and depend on where you live.  You can include a list of the mailing addresses from all three CRAs and they will send the notice of withdrawal directly to them as well as a copy to you.  The processing time through the IRS is about 45 days and all of my CRAs were updated about a week later.

Barclays USAir World MC $8300 - DCU $7500 - USAA World MC $7000 - PayPal Extras MC (GE) $5500 - Chase Saphire Preferred $5000 - Discover It $6000 - Barclays Sallie May $2700 - Chase Freedom $1000 - Capital One $8500 (business) - store cards ranging from $500-$9500
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.