Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

removing closed accounts

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

removing closed accounts

I am trying to fix my credit and have negitive marks on my report. Several of these show zero balance paid but are still coming up negitive. I am wondering if their is any way to remove these items off my cr? If so how?
Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: removing closed accounts

What specifically is showing? Collection, charge off, late, something else?

Message 2 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

There is not a way to remove correct information even if its negative. If the account is your then it will stay on the credit report for the alloted time. If the account is not your then you can dipute the information.

The only way negative information comes off is 7 yrs after last activity on the account or 10 if its a govt type account such has lean. The only good thing is that if you keep all other accounts current then it credit score will eventually improve.

Any company that promises to remove negative information is not telling the truth.
Message 3 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Crystal is correct, it cannot be removed if it is YOUR account. After two years, it probably won't affect your score, especially if it has been paid off. So, keep your bills paid ontime for two years and you will see your score move up, little by little until you are one of the "good" credit people.

Message 4 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Accurate, adverse information can be removed, legally.

FCRA requires that information on reports be accurate, but they are not compelled to report information.

Adverse information MAY be reported for no more than 7 years, but creditors and collectors are not required to report it for the full 7 years.

Message 5 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

How would I go about removing it? It shows paid in full 0 balance. Just call the collections co that controled it?
Message 6 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Those unfortunately are about the toughest to do anything about. Paid collections are only slightly better than unpaid collections, and you have no leverage to do much of anything.

There's been some discussion of this over on creditinfocenter, but the odds aren't good.

Message 7 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you have the time and the energy accurate information can be removed by disputing it.  What I have actually done is to examine my credit report carefully and even my paid collection account for actual dates paid. 

A lot of time the creditor will report that you paid in off in say May, when actually you might have paid in two months prior in March.  Well this is grounds for dispute and 9 times out of 10 they will not respond to your dispute because the account is paid 0 balance.  the theory, why waste the expense and after the 30 day period the bureaus will remove it. 

I have done this multiple time and each time have had at least two or three deletions.  this persistance and time will help to clean the credit a lot quicker than just waiting the two years for the stuff to get hidden in other good credit.  I would say try it at least once before you settle.
Message 8 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can anyone tell me i have several old mortgages still reporting on my CR all are closed and were all in good standing should i have them stop reporting or leave them on and does it effect my score?
Message 9 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you have any accounts in good standing that are old, leave 'em alone. Don't touch 'em.
Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.