Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

returning to country after 6 years...bad credit

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

returning to country after 6 years...bad credit

Hi, I was a student in USA before 6 years and went back to my host country after finishing my graduation. Due to an emergency in leaving, I didnt have a chance to settle all my debt. That debt is currently reflected on my credit report as a write off / collection. I have recently moved back to the USA and I have every intention of paying the old debt off. But I have confusion with regards to the following: * Should I pay it off now or wait till next year when it gets wiped off from my credit report ? Some people suggest doing the latter as apparently even an inquiry into old debt brings it to recent history? * How do I go about finding the right resources to negotiate paying off the debt and getting it removed from my credit report? I dont remember all details about my credit cards. * What is the procedure of removing an entry from the credit report which has been made both by the original lender and the collection agency? I am presuming if I call the collection agency, they will only remove their own part of the entry on the credit report. Any help would be truly appreciated. Thanks,
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: returning to country after 6 years...bad credit

You can contact the lenders and ask if they will do a PFD Pay for Delete. If they refuse you can wait and settle with them after 7th year when all negative remarks fall off. It would be more damaging to your credit to pay now if they refuse PFD. If they except PFD your payment will remove it from your credit reports upon payment.

Message Edited by ilovepizza on 04-08-2008 07:29 AM
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.