Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

same cc acct reporting as 2 different tradelines (wamu & chase) on TU

tag
score_building
Senior Contributor

same cc acct reporting as 2 different tradelines (wamu & chase) on TU

there was a recent post about this but few responses so far.  does anyone else have this issue?  and/or know the best way to attack it?

i closed my wamu acct a few months ago with a balance that i am paying down briskly.

the name "chase" replaced "wamu" on the tradeline at each of the 3 bureaus a few days ago due to the take over.

however, my TU report still shows both chase AND wamu tradelines for the same acct.  this is tanking my TU score which i recently got into the 700 club Smiley Sad

this morning i was disappointed to learn that TU has confirmed the errant wamu tradeline instead of removing it. i disputed it as:  "acct taken over by another lender".

for the other two agencies, the wamu tradeline no longer appears as "wamu", since it was replaced by "chase".  but on TU it is listed as two accts, one chase and one wamu.  any advice would greatly appreciated!

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: same cc acct reporting as 2 different tradelines (wamu & chase) on TU

Both TLs can report, but only one can report a balance.
Message 2 of 5
score_building
Senior Contributor

thanks, interesting... why then would it be replaced with chase on two out of three cbrs.  and only listing both with TU i wonder?

balances are reporting on both on TU!  that's the problem-

should i try to dispute again on the basis of balance incorrect (since what i understand from your post is that it should be reporting as 0 on at least one of the two duplicative tradelines?)

Message 3 of 5
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

I would focus on your AAoA first. The new Chase account should carry the same opened date as your WaMu acct. If the ages of these two cards are older than your AAoA, then it may be worth leaving alone (other than paying). Removing one, if older, can hurt your score in the long-term (after the balance goes to $0). I'd also make sure the WaMu acct is being updated monthly to reflect the correct balance. If this is younder than AAoA, then it may be worth disputing.
Message 4 of 5
score_building
Senior Contributor

yes, it is significantly younger than my AAoA.  thanks a bunch!
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.