Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

socal 3.9 year old parking ticket, collection/law firm expert help please

tag
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: socal 3.9 year old parking ticket, collection/law firm expert help please

While a parking ticket can cause problems, such as subsequent auto registration, it will not appear either as an OC debt or as a collection on your credit report.

As part of a recent settlement agreement between the big-3 CRAs and the offices of the AG of several states, the CRAs have agreed to the policy that debts not based on any contract or agreement with the consumer, such as parking and other fines, will not be included by the CRAs in any consumer credit files/reports.

To the degree that you have concern that the old ticket may affect your credit report by showing up as a collection, that is against the CRA settlement agreement.

Message 11 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

In my state, one of the counties would use $100 as a collection point. When someone did not pay they would usually monthly, take a roster of the non payers to the courts and have the judge issue "Bench Warrants" for collection. This meant the people could be arrested however law enforcement caught them and drop them in jail for non payment. Do not know if this practice is still being used but makes for some interesting reading.
Message 12 of 19
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

@RobertEG wrote:

While a parking ticket can cause problems, such as subsequent auto registration, it will not appear either as an OC debt or as a collection on your credit report.

As part of a recent settlement agreement between the big-3 CRAs and the offices of the AG of several states, the CRAs have agreed to the policy that debts not based on any contract or agreement with the consumer, such as parking and other fines, will not be included by the CRAs in any consumer credit files/reports.

To the degree that you have concern that the old ticket may affect your credit report by showing up as a collection, that is against the CRA settlement agreement.

Hi Robert, I hope you have been well.  I have zero of the above stated concerns only because I read a few of your other posts on the topic.  Thank you for your continued efforts on this board, you are a huge help to a great number of individuals

Message 13 of 19
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
In my state, one of the counties would use $100 as a collection point. When someone did not pay they would usually monthly, take a roster of the non payers to the courts and have the judge issue "Bench Warrants" for collection. This meant the people could be arrested however law enforcement caught them and drop them in jail for non payment. Do not know if this practice is still being used but makes for some interesting reading.

OK, I'll bite - what state?  that is insane

Message 14 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow
Message 15 of 19
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Some Florida municipalities have equipped police cruisers with high-speed license plate scanners that can process the plate numbers of parked cars as the cruiser passes. This allows police to identify cars with tickets owed and then immobilize the car.

Message 16 of 19
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@RobertEG wrote:

Too late for me! I got a $25 ticket for "Obstruction of Snow Removal" parking on the campus of Cornell University in December 1990. I had to ask a friend what it meant - there are no signs or warnings, you're just supposed to know that when it snows for snow plows you can't part on the right side of the street on even numbered days and can't park on the left side of the street on odd numbered days. And it was only a dusting of snow, so I didn't pay it. A few years later i was applying for a credit card in a bank branch and the rep told me I was denied because I had a collection on my credit report. I couldn't believe I could have a collection so he showed it to me - a collection from Cornell University for the lousy $25 parking ticket.

I mailed them a check for the $25 they apparently so desperately needed. They are very good a tracking down alumnae and I get a couple letters a year asking for a donation, they go straight into the wastebasket, I already "contributed".

Message 17 of 19
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

If the ticket was from City of Los Angeles, I would definitely check to see if it was already paid. Their computer system is an utter disaster with info getting lost and crossed on a constant basis. I had one parking ticket never make it into the system. I tried to pay it over the phone but they kept saying the ticket number wasn't in the system, so they couldn't accept payment. 15 years later, nothing has come up on that one. Another one I got in Hollywood I paid, and then they kept sending me invoices... I sent them a copy of a bank statement showing it was paid and nothing for about a year and a half, then the DMV held my registration renewal over the same **bleep** ticket. I had to drive to DTLA and go through the whole thing again with the bank statement. They found the payment had been applied to someone elses parking ticket and finally straightened it out.

Message 18 of 19
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

@ChargedUp wrote:

If the ticket was from City of Los Angeles, I would definitely check to see if it was already paid. Their computer system is an utter disaster with info getting lost and crossed on a constant basis. I had one parking ticket never make it into the system. I tried to pay it over the phone but they kept saying the ticket number wasn't in the system, so they couldn't accept payment. 15 years later, nothing has come up on that one. Another one I got in Hollywood I paid, and then they kept sending me invoices... I sent them a copy of a bank statement showing it was paid and nothing for about a year and a half, then the DMV held my registration renewal over the same **bleep** ticket. I had to drive to DTLA and go through the whole thing again with the bank statement. They found the payment had been applied to someone elses parking ticket and finally straightened it out.

hey, right you are, that is the only reason I am chasing this down...its a clown show in la.  I was driving by the cc dmv so I stopped before my appt the other day and asked the outside greeter if the dmv keeps records of paid fines and he said they do not.  drat!  so I called the 800 # and got to someone, I was amazed.  asked the same thing and the guy was nice, he gave me a # to all to a dept that that is all they do, tickets, dmv, etc, and he said they can get to old info if I have the citation #.  also said that old stuff can show up years later.  maybe because it was a lease return that same year it's taken this long to find me.  I think not, they had 10 months to tag me to the ticket and report it to the dmv, this is 3.9 years after the fact...been trying to call but the recording says they are busy, call back, etc.  I am in no hurry, I am not going to pay it until someone verifies that its not been paid or that is shows up when I register a car from them.  absolutely no hurry to pay it lol

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.