Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

to Dispute or not to dispute?

tag
Pit-Smoker
Regular Contributor

to Dispute or not to dispute?

I've mentioned this quandary in a couple of threads, but I'm going to address it head on here: 

I was approved for a HELOC with Citizens Bank. 

At closing, the Rep said, "because you have this, you're PREAPPROVED for a Credit Card with us!  Which one woud you like?"  

I looked at the language; it was clear that another approval process would need to be done, and I mentioned that to the rep. Her reply "yes, but we already got your credit score from the HELOC App. "  

I said, "I have been rebuilding, which is, in part, why I'm here for the HELOC.  I can't have another hard pull on my account right now."  She said "It's a soft pull-- we already did the hard pull."  

I said, "no hard pull... you're positive?" 

She said, "No hard pull. None whatsoever."  

So I apped for it.  Inevitably, there was another hard pull.  it was same bank, but a month apart-- well-outside the 2 week window from the last one so it will and does count against me. 

I called the rep back and told her: 1) She was shocked 2) She was apologetic.  But either way, it was done. She called the credit department and they said it was an accident or something. 

My app sat "pending" for over a week.  I was really apprehensive about this.   At one point I spoke to another rep-- a manager--  and I was very spoecific with her.  I explained the hard pull, explained rebuilding and explained that the 0% rate they were offering would help me continue my goals.  I told her I was upset about the hard pull.  She put me on hold, and came back, "Well, they say you can cancel the app."  

I replied, "What good is that? You already pulled my credit.  May as well see what happens, right?"  

Today I got the news:  $3500 SL, which I guess is pretty good for them. 

My question:  Can I dispute this second hard pull and not have any repercussions on the new account?  Should I bother?  Will it improve my score? (They pulled EQ, which now sits at 11/24 with both pulls.   That is my lowest total INQ of the 3 bureaus.) 

What are your thoughts, anyone?  Thanks very much.  I appreciate your replies.  

Rebuilding is like smoking a brisket: it takes a lot of love, the right spice, and a ton of patience. You don't rush a brisket-- it goes low & slow. Sometimes, you need a crutch through the stall. In the end, the process matters.
2021 goals: 
1) GARDEN until I app for Mortgage.
2) Pay Down overall revolving debt aggressively and accountably, to under 30%, including my HELOC.  
3) Don't waste the gifted 0% time on the student loans. 
4) Ultimately, refi the house at non-usury terms. 

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: to Dispute or not to dispute?

Disputing it isn't going to work.  You may have been told that it was a SP but the fact is that you were seeking credit and the inquiry is legit.  I feel your only hope is to talk them into voluntarily recoding the pull.  I'm not sure how far they will go to help you in this matter.  Maybe they recorded the call and can verify that you were given bad info.  I hope it works out for you.  Let us know the results.

Message 2 of 8
AllZero
Mega Contributor

As above, do not dispute with the CRA.

Ask Citizens Bank to recode the 2nd pull as SP Soft Pull inquiry. It should be a simple process. Good luck.

Congratulations on your approval!

Message 3 of 8
Pit-Smoker
Regular Contributor

I will give that a try-- thank you both very much!   

Rebuilding is like smoking a brisket: it takes a lot of love, the right spice, and a ton of patience. You don't rush a brisket-- it goes low & slow. Sometimes, you need a crutch through the stall. In the end, the process matters.
2021 goals: 
2) Pay Down overall revolving debt aggressively and accountably, to under 30%, including my HELOC.  

Message 4 of 8
Dmessina666
Frequent Contributor

I just closed on a home 3 months ago. The officer pulled my reports twice in 5 minutes accidentally. They took it right off. Don't let the bank tell you otherwise. Simple process. They can take it right back. 

Message 5 of 8
Pit-Smoker
Regular Contributor

Thanks.  I'll let you guys know how it goes.  

2021 goals: 

Message 6 of 8
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Gotta hate when that happens. They're trying to meet their sign up quotas most likely. Sorry OP. Hopefully they'll recode for you.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 7 of 8
Pit-Smoker
Regular Contributor

Hey all--  so a quick update here:  They are NOT Immediately willing to recode the HP. 

The Credit Card rep had me on hold for at least 10 minutes while she spoke to her manager.  They came back and replied, "I'm sorry.  Any time we offer credit we pull credit."

I replied, "I understand that entirely, and I would think nothing else.  The question was HOW you pull that credit-- I was informed explicitly that this was a soft pull.  I asked a minimum of 4 times. Her reply was consistent and she repeated that you already hard-pulled for the HELOC.  Therefore,  it made sense to follow with a soft pull on this-- which your team called a preapproval, for the record. 

Furthermore, when I called the Branch to tell the person that you had hard-pulled my credit afterward, her immediate reaction was, 'no, no, no.  They should NOT have done that.' " 

She put me on hold again.  This time, it was quick. 

"I have good news. We will investigate this, but I need the name and branch of the person who told you this info."   I gave it to her...  I guess we shall stay tuned.  

I simultaneously feel bad, and yet I don't feel bad at all.   I just hope that there aren't serious repercussions here for the branch rep. She was SO sure, that at present, I think it's a major, systemic miscommunication somewhere, and in which case, there will be a new set of guidelines for them all to follow. 

Hopefully they fix whatever internal inconsistencies there may be and no one's in trouble... and I get my HP reduced.  

2021 goals: 

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.