Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

too many personal finance accounts

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

too many personal finance accounts

I got this message when checking my crdit report:

Having too much available credit can sometimes harm your credit score. Lenders may feel that you have the ability to spend more than you could potentially pay back. You might want to consider closing a few accounts or asking to have your credit limits reduced. Avoid closing too many accounts - especially the oldest accounts on your credit report - because it could harm your credit score. Closing the oldest accounts can damage your score by making the length of your credit use appear shorter.

I don't understand. I assume they mean credit cards. the only two cards on my list are orchard bank and capital one with 500 and 750 limits. I have 3 student loans totally $24,000.

What are they referring to?
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
chartley3
Frequent Contributor

Re: too many personal finance accounts

Do you have any personal loans out other then the student loans or any store CC??
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have no personal loans...just student loans and 2 credit cards (soon to be 5 credit cards). But that's it.
Message 3 of 7
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

What about closed TLs?
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

3 closed TL's:

One car lease - closed
two student loans - closed
Message 5 of 7
fused
Moderator Emeritus

rifleman wrote:

Having too much available credit can sometimes harm your credit score. Lenders may feel that you have the ability to spend more than you could potentially pay back. You might want to consider closing a few accounts or asking to have your credit limits reduced. Avoid closing too many accounts - especially the oldest accounts on your credit report - because it could harm your credit score. Closing the oldest accounts can damage your score by making the length of your credit use appear shorter.

I don't understand. I assume they mean credit cards. the only two cards on my list are orchard bank and capital one with 500 and 750 limits. I have 3 student loans totally $24,000.

Which website did you get this message?  Sounds like FAKO!
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@fused111 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Which website did you get this message? Sounds like FAKO!

That's a generic comment that can appear on Equifax or Experian reports.

People need to ignore these comments. Some comments just point out the obvious ("Your 12 bankruptcies may be hurting your score" Well, duh!), and the rest of these canned comments are almost always contradictory and/or nonsensical.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.