Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

trying to rent a house in florida

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

trying to rent a house in florida

If my spouses credit is over 800 (excellent) and mine is 653 (fair) and combined our monthly gross is a little more than 3 times the rent, do you think the property management company checking us out will approve us for a years lease?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: trying to rent a house in florida

@Anonymous wrote:

If my spouses credit is over 800 (excellent) and mine is 653 (fair) and combined our monthly gross is a little more than 3 times the rent, do you think the property management company checking us out will approve us for a years lease?

yes, i do think so, but it's completely up to them. Worst case scenario they can ask you for 2 months deposit instead of one, but your score and income sound good enough

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

thank you...i certainly hope so....do you think they pull fico or another model? and, do they just do a soft pull to see score?
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
thank you...i certainly hope so....do you think they pull fico or another model? and, do they just do a soft pull to see score?

I'd be surprised if property managers are that considerate with credit scores to do soft pulls only.

In my case, last apartment, I sent them my VS3 from CK to show them it's more than high so no need to pull it. But that wasn't good enough for them so they pulled the 3 bureaus. Twice. One pull the association and one more the landlord through some construction company of his. That was a big hit for my score since I had no inquiries

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Yeah, you'll probably be OK -- as long as you have never had a problem with a landlord before (e.g. not paying your rent on time).  Landlords typically do not report events like that to the big three credit bureaus (EQ, TU, EX) but rather to specialized smaller credit bureaus.

One possible issue might be your income.  That sounds a little borderline.  I did a couple of quick searches now and it sounded like a lot of landords look for the monthly rent payment to be under 30% of the combined monthly income.  Yours is 33%.  I don't have much experience in this area, though.

Bear in mind that when a person is buying a house, the lender typically look at the low of the two scores.  Thus, for a home purchase, there's no advantage to the higher score being in the 800s.  All that matters is the lower of the two scores.  Landlords may do the same.

If you have a couple months, folks here can suggest some ways to raise your credit score.

Message 6 of 9
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

You/your spouse may want to check your VantageScores through Credit.com and Credit Karma. Some renters will look at VantageScore. No harm asking your potential landlord. If they do, you can set up an account using Experian Connect that will allow landlords you authorize to review your EX credit report and VS3 score without resulting in a hard inquiry. See link below

http://www.experian.com/connect/

Experian connect.jpg

FWIW -

http://www.landlordstation.com/blog/setting-minimum-application-requirements-for-tenants/

Tenant requirements.jpg

Transferring risk -.jpg

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was in a similar situation and did something outside of the box that cut through miles of BS. I had Verizon change my phone number to a Florida number in the zipcode i was looking to rent in. It made people renting houses and a few apartment communities open up without all the bs. Suddenly the "we charge rent based on market valuations daily" bs  disappeared . It's worth a try, if your moving there anyway, the new number will be useful.

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I was in a similar situation and did something outside of the box that cut through miles of BS. I had Verizon change my phone number to a Florida number in the zipcode i was looking to rent in. It made people renting houses and a few apartment communities open up without all the bs. Suddenly the "we charge rent based on market valuations daily" bs  disappeared . It's worth a try, if your moving there anyway, the new number will be useful.

This does wonders for getting a callback for a job interview before you move as well.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.