Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

using credit card to pay off student loans

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

using credit card to pay off student loans

Why can't borrowers use a credit card to pay down a nondischargable student loan and then default on the dischargeable credit card balance?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: using credit card to pay off student loans

@Anonymous wrote:

Why can't borrowers use a credit card to pay down a nondischargable student loan and then default on the dischargeable credit card balance?

Hello and welcome to the forums.

I'm not at all sure you're allowed to use a CC to pay on SL's for that very reason. But if you are allowed then yes some dishonest and unethical people would use such an end around tactic.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 2 of 9
laz98
Senior Contributor

i would guess that is exactly why, because then nobody would feel the need to pay their student loans.  they could just put them on a credit card & declare bankruptcy.

Message 3 of 9
Travis-84
Regular Contributor

I don't know if this is the reason.

Student loan companies don't care if you default on student loans, they just one money.  The problem student loan companies have is transaction cost.  If every payment I make requires a transaction fee, then profits go down for student loan companies.  I guess they could pass the cost on, but unless the cost was very very low, I doubt people would use it, so they don't offer it.  At least that is my theory. 

Message 4 of 9
laz98
Senior Contributor

@Travis-84 wrote:

Student loan companies don't care if you default on student loans, they just one money.  The problem student loan companies have is transaction cost.  If every payment I make requires a transaction fee, then profits go down for student loan companies.  I guess they could pass the cost on, but unless the cost was very very low, I doubt people would use it, so they don't offer it.  At least that is my theory. 

i don't think this is what the OP was asking.  i think they were asking why people wouldn't use CCs as a loophole to student loans not being dischargeable in bankruptcy, not why student loan companies don't let you pay with a credit card.

Message 5 of 9
marty56
Super Contributor

IMHO the reason is that the loan company would have to pay a fee to allow you to pay by credit card.  Same reason for car loans and auto loans.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 6 of 9
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

My daughter pays her student loan installments on a crecit card (mine!)

The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 7 of 9
cdtotten
Established Contributor

Care to share which company is allowing this? I have never heard of a SL being paid via cc.

Starting Score: 627 EQ, 621 TU - 11/15/08
Current Score: 778 EQ, 781 TU, 778 EXP 07/20/12 Lender Pull
Goal Score: 800 EQ & TU

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.