Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

very scary CA call from PN financial today

tag
daisyduke
Valued Contributor

very scary CA call from PN financial today

today i got a call from pn financial. very important msg that i call back so i did. guy on the phone had talked to me about an account that was not mine - loan for pay day - i said this is not mine - he went over various addresses that were not mine. he had the wrong person - he was looking for another person with my name.  i asked the ca how the heck did he get my number and he said auto dialer......im all caught up and i dont have any ca's on my tail --  very odd -

Starting Score: 682 EQ, 663 TU
Current Score: 687 EQ - 705 TU on 7/18/10
Goal Score: 700 + both EQ and TU

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
DI
Super Contributor

Re: very scary CA call from PN financial today

@daisyduke wrote:
today i got a call from pn financial. very important msg that i call back so i did. guy on the phone had talked to me about an account that was not mine - loan for pay day - i said this is not mine - he went over various addresses that were not mine. he had the wrong person - he was looking for another person with my name.  i asked the ca how the heck did he get my number and he said auto dialer......im all caught up and i dont have any ca's on my tail --  very odd -

If you have your telephone number listed on your credit reports there's a chance one of the CRA's sold the CA  your number. 

Message 2 of 9
vawt
Contributor

I had something similar to this happen about 3 months ago.  Someone left an urgent message on my work voicemail that I needed to call immediately.  I knew whatever it could be it was either a scam or misinformation on their part.

Turns out it was a person with a name sort of like mine (on same last name though and my last name is quite rare).  They just looked up anyone in the state of Missouri.  Not sure how that could have led to my work phone though (I live in Kansas, but work in Missouri).  They were just grasping at straws hoping I was related or something like that.

Bottom line is CAs will call anyone and everyone to try and get some information or frighten someone into paying...

Scores June-09: EQ 798 TU-785
Scores Mar-09: EQ 792 (getting close) TU-782
Scores Feb-09: EQ- 786 EX- ??? TU-777
Scores Jan-09: EQ- 791 EX- 786 TU-765
Scores Aug-08: EQ- 786 EX- 779 TU- 737
Message 3 of 9
daisyduke
Valued Contributor

Thanks for this - I will double check my credit reports to be sure my number isn't listed....they will call anywhere i know that because my ex husband was getting calls for me at his home because at one point, i used his address for mail - so they decided to start calling him.....i thought this could be a scam, so before i called back i checked to be sure it was a legit business and it is. "Auto Dialer" i have a rare name (only two on fb with my name spelling is different). anywho - glad i called back and found out the debt was not mine.........

Message 4 of 9
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

I've had CAs call for someone with the same last name but completely different first name.  This other person used to live in the same town as me.  I think that they were just calling everyone with the same last name in the hopes of actually finding their target.
Message 5 of 9
daisyduke
Valued Contributor

Thank you - I've never had a CA call that wasn't for me, but i'm current (and going to stay that way!!) so i don't think anyone is chasing me right now.  Auto dialer - good way to try and get your money. I see it's reliable.

Message 6 of 9
ECHOBOI4U
New Contributor

This is a part of the skip tracng technique to call people sometimes with similar or like last names to attempt to find the person and/or a relative that may know how to find them.  Their auto-dialers send out a flury of calls on these numbers and when they connect they document if they did and what happened.  If you tell them it is a wrong number, they should make a note and never call again.
Message 7 of 9
daisyduke
Valued Contributor

Oh I told him he got that wrong person....I could tell he didn't believe me at first - the debt was was clearly not mine. I would never do a Pay Day loan...NTTAWWT -

Message 8 of 9
MattH
Senior Contributor

...a person with a name sort of like mine (on same last name though and my last name is quite rare).  They just looked up anyone in the state of Missouri...They were just grasping at straws hoping I was related or something like that.

Bottom line is CAs will call anyone and everyone to try and get some information or frighten someone into paying...

A while back I got called by a CA looking for somebody with a name similar to mine in the same State, and I had big fun convincing them that:

• Since 1992 I have lived at just two addresses, my current address and one half a mile from my current address.  Neither address is within fifty miles of the last known address for the person they were seeking.
  • I am not related in any way to, nor have I ever met, the person they were seeking.
  • I have never done business of any nature with the original creditor.

TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.