Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

when to set up auto pay ?

tag
dunn2500
Established Contributor

when to set up auto pay ?

so i have a card with due date on 13th and statement date of 17th.......statement reports to CRA on 17th.....i just paid it down to $10 on the 9th and nailed with a $30 late fee on the 13th.....did same last month with no late fee, wth is this so hard for me to figure out, lol....ive asked this question b4 and this is getting ridiculous.....if i pay it to $0 on the 13th i am screwed on 17th with $0 balance for CRA, if i leave a balance for CRA,  i get hit with late fee....how do you friggen win?......pay it to $0 on the 13th than spend $10 by the 17th, let it report than do whatever til 13th and repeat the cycle?.....auto pay doesnt know what your balance will be everytime cuz it might be different amount depending on what you spent......am i crazy or just plain stupid?.....i am usually fairly intellegent so wth is so difficult.........why dont they just have due/statement date on same friggen day to make it simple?

granted its a crappy card by i dont understand why i got hit with late this month and not last month......luckily i caught it b4 tomorrows cut date but still......$30 late fee on $10 balance and i hardly use it.......cant wait to get better cards and cancel this credit one

i am so sorry and feel like an idiot.......how do you set up auto pay for what amounts and what day to keep your util low?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: when to set up auto pay ?

Your due date should be static, however, Capital One just recently changed the statement/cycle dates for a variety of CCs so these are going to fluctuate going forward. So, I would re-confirm from your actual statement online when the actual due date is because it is not possible for a late fee to be assessed on the due date (unless a payment missed the cut-off deadline).  

If you recently made your payment on the 9th, (I'm assuming this month?), then I think we need some clarity as to how you have a late fee on the 13th when you mentioned the statement cycles on the 17th, which is actually today.

Message 2 of 10
Iusedtolurk
Established Contributor

@dunn2500 wrote:

so i have a card with due date on 13th and statement date of 17th.......statement reports to CRA on 17th.....i just paid it down to $10 on the 9th and nailed with a $30 late fee on the 13th.....did same last month with no late fee, wth is this so hard for me to figure out, lol....ive asked this question b4 and this is getting ridiculous.....if i pay it to $0 on the 13th i am screwed on 17th with $0 balance for CRA, if i leave a balance for CRA,  i get hit with late fee....how do you friggen win?......pay it to $0 on the 13th than spend $10 by the 17th, let it report than do whatever til 13th and repeat the cycle?.....auto pay doesnt know what your balance will be everytime cuz it might be different amount depending on what you spent......am i crazy or just plain stupid?.....i am usually fairly intellegent so wth is so difficult.........why dont they just have due/statement date on same friggen day to make it simple?

granted its a crappy card by i dont understand why i got hit with late this month and not last month......luckily i caught it b4 tomorrows cut date but still......$30 late fee on $10 balance and i hardly use it.......cant wait to get better cards and cancel this credit one

i am so sorry and feel like an idiot.......how do you set up auto pay for what amounts and what day to keep your util low?

I don't see how you would incur a late fee if you paid by the due date cutoff time. If you paid on the 9th that should have been good.

I pay all mines (at least min) as soon as statement cuts. Then I pay more if I decide later before new statement cuts.

I don't use autopay (saw too many horror stories) but I believe you can set it for the minimum due.

One thing I due with credit one is I have always pushed the payments from my bank. (saw too many horror stories using their payment system). Never a problem, gets credited that day.

I would call and ask them how exactly a late payment was placed on your account.

Message 3 of 10
dunn2500
Established Contributor

Date
Description
Amount

01/09/2021
INTERNET PAYMENT LAS VEGAS NV
($20.00)

01/13/2021
LATE FEE
$30.30

Balance
$40.60  
Payment Due Date 01/13/2021

Minimum Payment $10.30

Credit Limit
$300.00
Available Credit
$259.00
Credit Limit for Cash
$75.00
Available Credit for Cash
$75.00

Last Statement Balance
$30.30
Transactions
$30.30
Payments & Credits
$20.00

Rewards Earned (last 12 months)
$0.00
Message 4 of 10
dunn2500
Established Contributor

i actually paid $20 last night to get my util lower but dont know if it will post by end of today

i thought i had $10 balance and was good but checked last night and saw late fee so that brought it $40......bit frustrating, i carry small balance every month because i dont want $0

maybe i left to high a balance.....mine are ususally really small though, i dont use much of card....it seems really off and weird......never had a late fee since opening

Message 5 of 10
thornback
Senior Contributor

Question.  When you paid the $20 on the 9th, did that cover the entire required minimum amount due?  Because even if you make a payment before the due date, if it's not equal to, or more than, the minimum amount due, you'd incur a late fee if your balance for that billing cycle was higher than the minimum due. 

Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 6 of 10
dunn2500
Established Contributor

just got off the phone they are going to credit me back late fee (their mistake) but its not going to post most likely today which will mess up my utilization a bit.....

Message 7 of 10
dunn2500
Established Contributor

@thornback wrote:

Question.  When you paid the $20 on the 9th, did that cover the entire required minimum amount due?  Because even if you make a payment before the due date, if it's not equal to, or more than, the minimum amount due, you'd incur a late fee if your balance for that billing cycle was higher than the minimum due. 

thats what i was thinking too, but i use such low amts i rarely have minimum due.......but thats absolutely correct, apparently even though i paid on the 9th and it shows up on my end on their end it was not......maybe using their online payment system is not best way to pay 

Message 8 of 10
Iusedtolurk
Established Contributor

@dunn2500 wrote:

@thornback wrote:

thats what i was thinking too, but i use such low amts i rarely have minimum due.......but thats absolutely correct, apparently even though i paid on the 9th and it shows up on my end on their end it was not......maybe using their online payment system is not best way to pay 

@dunn2500That's what I had mentioned earlier Their payment system may be a little glitchy as I have seen many people complain about problems with it. Best to push payments through your bank and still double check on processed payment.

Good you made the call and got it resolved.

Message 9 of 10
dunn2500
Established Contributor

yeah i will be glad when i graduate......i have to say though the customer service wasnt bad, got thru right away and immediately resolved problem....

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.