cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$115 charge off, Should we pay? Would it increase our chances for getting our FHA loan?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

$115 charge off, Should we pay? Would it increase our chances for getting our FHA loan?

Hello everyone. We are trying to get our loan through, working with the LO. So far we have paid down the balance of one of our car loans to a certain amount, to boost our score a bit. We are looking at the report now and are curious as to whether or not we should pay off a derog of $115. DOLA was 11/07, then it was charged off. I am mostly wondering if its better to leave the DOLA alone, or get the balance to $0.

Our LO is pretty good at getting loans through so I am not sure what to do about it. I will ask him for sure on monday but I am wondering what all you think. Cause the sooner we pay that (if need be), the better cause of how long it takes to show up on the report.

Another question- Before we started this loan process, we bought a car. It was a nessescity  (sp? lol) my husband drives 30 minutes away and 30 minutes back for work everyday. His car had broken down and we were in a tough spot. In fact after seeing what his credit was during all that is what prompted us to want to try a home loan. Ok, to the actual question. The loan for the car hasnt shown up on his credit yet, will a new auto account look bad when it shows up? Our actual debt to income ratio is very low, basicly just the two car loans (total 25k) , no credit cards, and he makes around $70k a year. But on the other hand, no credit cards means no revolving accounts means very little to NO credit. So we kind of need it too....

Ugh all of this is so frustrating and it feels like we are playing a very intricate game. We just want to spend our son's first Christmas in our first house. (I wish I could tell that to the LO and underwriter, maybe they will accept the sob story hahah)

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: $115 charge off, Should we pay? Would it increase our chances for getting our FHA loan?

couple points.

Paying off the loan will do nothing to increase score unless it was a revolving account.  A car loan is not.  The bank that had the loan will behappy, but as far as credit goes, it will not help you in any way nor decrease your DTI liabilities.

Paying off the collection may lower your credit score becuase they may update DOLA.  In that case, it would get factored heavier into the mix by FICO and will count against you more.

When the new car loan pops up it will lower your score a little bit for the inquiry, new account, and the lower average age of accounts.  Be careful because alot of (if not most) lenders are now running credit reports at close and it looks like you could have several items possibly about to hit your FICO score (initial home loan inquiry, new car loan, the collection if you pay it)  Even if you are above the limit by a comfortable amount, new credit mixed with a lowering of FICO scores alone can make an underwriter jumpy.  They may want to see the car loan established to prove you can afford it and get a new mortgage, etc.  Especially if FICO takes a few dings when they go to pull it near close.

Also, sob story will not help.  The underwriter will look at the file from a totally unbiased point of view.  You want to stay out of their way as much as possible (while providing everything they ask for immediately with no fuss) or they may tend to become a bit biased about your file.  They have hundreds of files on their desk or waiting for them.  Anything you try to throw at them that is unnecessary is at least a distraction and at most an annoyance to them.  Good stories will often give you a leg up when bidding in a home against other buyers, but not in the loan process.

And yeah, it is a pretty intricate game as you said.  

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: $115 charge off, Should we pay? Would it increase our chances for getting our FHA loan?

yeah that is what i was worried about.. grr. Our LO didnt seem to be worried about it though. I will most certainly ask  Monday. We are teetering right on the edge with our score too. its at 618 maybe 625 now so I suppose we will see. darn.

The sob story comment was a joke, lol... I wasnt expecting anyone to care, especially the underwriter haha

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.