Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 Weeks from Close, Contract Job Ending

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

2 Weeks from Close, Contract Job Ending

So we're 2 weeks from closing on 6/24, and my contract job is ending. I am a freelancer/self-employed in social media strategy, and over the past 2+ years have had in office contract work and personal clients, so a mix of stuff. The last 9 months ive been on a 40 hour a week contract. It was only meant to be 6 months, but kept getting extended due to the client needing me longer than expected (im working at a creative agency that has clients, not in-house with client). Extensions were last minute, month by month. Although I was told i was supposed to be extended to 6/30, there's no official paperwork in and so the agency cannot legally keep me past Friday unless the client signs.

Anyway, our LO does know my job situation and they asked for the past 2 years tax returns and any w-2s/1099s to average my income. My husband on the other hand, makes about double what i make full time and has a very stable job. He asked the LO last month if we should worry if my contract should suddenly end. She said "we understand she's self-employed and there are gaps in work at times." He said she didn't seem that concerned. Of course, it looks like a gap is coming RIGHT AT THE FINISH LINE.

So i guess the question is, should i worry? Yes, i will tell our LO as soon as we know for sure Friday is my last day (I've been told my agency is pushing for last minute signature from client, so probably won't know for sure until Friday itself). And of course I am hustling to find more work ASAP. Will they do a VOE for me the same as my husband given that i have such fluctuating work? Will they rely more on the previous 2 years averages? My husband is acting like i have zero to worry about but im really anxious. I don't know if husband qualifies on his own, so i guess that might be the next thing to figure out just in case. UGH. The whole thing is killing me!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
pgtackle2003
Frequent Contributor

Re: 2 Weeks from Close, Contract Job Ending

Since you are self employed (even thought you were working for a single client for a while) there shouldn't be any type of Employment verification as essentially there isn't anything to verify. They may ask your husband for his most recent paycheck stub which shouldn't be an issue. I believe this will be fine

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am also self-employed full time and worry about similar issues. From my understanding, as long as you can give them the last two years of tax returns, they'll use that to calculate your NET yearly income. I think you will be fine! From one freelancer to another, I wish you the best Smiley Happy 

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you both, this makes me feel much better! I know they have asked me for current paychecks (last time was 2 weeks ago) and fortunately my last paycheck will come in on 6/28 so hopefully that continued pay is all that matters. Still hoping to pick up more work soon of course! Will update as we get closer to close.

Message 4 of 6
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you both, this makes me feel much better! I know they have asked me for current paychecks (last time was 2 weeks ago) and fortunately my last paycheck will come in on 6/28 so hopefully that continued pay is all that matters. Still hoping to pick up more work soon of course! Will update as we get closer to close.

Should be fine, no reason to deny over that TBH.  1099 income is shown off tax returns anyway, so a gap now won't even rate.

        
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well a positive update, i got last minute extended to 6/28 at my job. It's now 3 days before close and our lender told us we have a rush on our account to get the disclosure today... its 3pm and nothinng yet. Ugh. But, hopefully everything moves forward fine.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.