Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 Year Discharge Date when to apply?

tag
kaylord84
Frequent Contributor

2 Year Discharge Date when to apply?

My 2 years post Chapter 7 BK date is March 8th 2019. When getting pre approval do I wait until the exact date or I get the ball rolling and apply ahead of time ? Then close after the date. This in regards to a FHA loan thanks

Starting Score: Eq 485 TU 467 Ex 400 BK filed Dec 2016
Current Score: Eq 723 TU 665 Ex 682
Goal Score: 700 All 3

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: 2 Year Discharge Date when to apply?

same boat as my chapter 7 will be 2 years old May 5th , we are doing a new build we have applied FHA and was told we would need to start the build Feb/March , as not only do we have to close after May 5th but we were told it also has to be 2 years before they can do the house Appraisal which is done about a month or so before being finsihed. Hopefully that helps

Message 2 of 10
homeloanexpert
Established Contributor

You can start the paperwork part of the process a little earlier i.e. running numbers, making sure the income and assets are all in line for the sale price you desire. I have even issued a Pre-Approval but listed the effective date after the 2 year mark.. As an example, many folks want to offer on new construction homes when the completion date is 6-9 months out. In these cases, I don't mind cutting the borrower a little break and issue a Pre-Approval as long as everyone knows the close date can't be earlier than 30 days after the 2 year mark.

Branch Manager - Specializing in FHA, VA, USDA, Conventional, Jumbo, Portfolio and Non-QM Loan Products.
Message 3 of 10
kaylord84
Frequent Contributor

So were u guys issued a pre-approval?

Message 4 of 10
kaylord84
Frequent Contributor

Update: applied and was approved with GR exactly one month before my discharge date hits 2 years .

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

My 2 year was Dec 27 2018 - We signed a contract in June 2018 to build a new home (with the intention of it being completed right at two year mark). We were able to get “conditional approval” but they wouldn’t give full approval until the two year date. Right around 1st week of January we received full approval. The best part is we ended up not buying the house we were building because of delays and other issues - decided to buy a completed home and we are scheduled to close 02/28
Message 6 of 10
kaylord84
Frequent Contributor

Good luck

Message 7 of 10
kaylord84
Frequent Contributor

Does the 2 year discharge date have to pass or is it the exact date example my discharge date is March 7th 2017. Can a lender pull request a appraisal on March 7th 2019 or 8th? Thanks

Message 8 of 10
homeloanexpert
Established Contributor

The lender can't pull the FHA case number until the March 7th, which is exactly 24 months after the final discharge. I have gotten ahead of myself when I was a rookie LO many years ago then only to have to cancel out the request and start over. Tomorrow you are good to go!

Branch Manager - Specializing in FHA, VA, USDA, Conventional, Jumbo, Portfolio and Non-QM Loan Products.
Message 9 of 10
kaylord84
Frequent Contributor

Thanks appreciate it

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.