Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

680 Fico, 4 years post discharge & first home

tag
TattnallTrio
Frequent Contributor

680 Fico, 4 years post discharge & first home

Hi, I am beginning to think about purchasing my first home. I have been renting for years and I am ready to establish roots. I don't know where to begin and how to prepare. 
I'll share my situation as far as income and credit and plan and I'm open to your comments. 
I filed chapter 7 in September of 2017. It discharged in January of 2018. Since then, I've opened several new accounts. I thought the more accounts the more solid my rebuild would be. That was a mistake. I've closed several store cards. 
Currently I am able to PIF my credit cards monthly. I don't have any savings. 
My income before taxes is $70k. I have been on my job for 11 months. Before that I was unemployed for a few months during Covid. I recently purchased a new car $22k financed, $430/month 60 month term at 3.75%. There's no negative equity. 
I am looking at a $150k-ish house hopefully to be my forever home. I am in my early 40's. 
I don't know how "first time buyer" programs work, or how FHA loans are. I've heard it's ideal to have 20% down to avoid having to pay for Private Mortgage Insurance. That may be a little hard for me to save up $30-$40k. 
There's not a particular house that I'm "in love with" or have to buy. 
To get ready for an approval or the best possible rate and terms... should I close a few extra credit cards? None have outrageous limits. My highest is BECU at $8,000, then Apple Card at $3,500. Then the rest are BBVA/PNC $2,200 right on down to Target at $600 and Valero at $300.  

I don't have any collections, only the bankruptcy filing and the accounts that were included in Chapter 7. 

I have cards that I don't really use like:

Menards $2,000

BJ's MC $1,800

Ulta store card $1,750

Walmart MC $900

Valero Gas $300

Capital One QS1 ($39 AF) $1,650

Ideally I can have $5,000 saved by Spring. 

Another thing is I'm looking at relocating out of state with purchasing a home there. My job will transfer and have similar income. Any help is appreciated. 

1 REPLY 1
VALoanMaster
Valued Contributor

Re: 680 Fico, 4 years post discharge & first home

@TattnallTrio wrote:

Hi, I am beginning to think about purchasing my first home. I have been renting for years and I am ready to establish roots. I don't know where to begin and how to prepare. 
I'll share my situation as far as income and credit and plan and I'm open to your comments. 
I filed chapter 7 in September of 2017. It discharged in January of 2018. Since then, I've opened several new accounts. I thought the more accounts the more solid my rebuild would be. That was a mistake. I've closed several store cards. 
Currently I am able to PIF my credit cards monthly. I don't have any savings. 
My income before taxes is $70k. I have been on my job for 11 months. Before that I was unemployed for a few months during Covid. I recently purchased a new car $22k financed, $430/month 60 month term at 3.75%. There's no negative equity. 
I am looking at a $150k-ish house hopefully to be my forever home. I am in my early 40's. 
I don't know how "first time buyer" programs work, or how FHA loans are. I've heard it's ideal to have 20% down to avoid having to pay for Private Mortgage Insurance. That may be a little hard for me to save up $30-$40k. 
There's not a particular house that I'm "in love with" or have to buy. 
To get ready for an approval or the best possible rate and terms... should I close a few extra credit cards? None have outrageous limits. My highest is BECU at $8,000, then Apple Card at $3,500. Then the rest are BBVA/PNC $2,200 right on down to Target at $600 and Valero at $300.  

I don't have any collections, only the bankruptcy filing and the accounts that were included in Chapter 7. 

I have cards that I don't really use like:

Menards $2,000

BJ's MC $1,800

Ulta store card $1,750

Walmart MC $900

Valero Gas $300

Capital One QS1 ($39 AF) $1,650

Ideally I can have $5,000 saved by Spring. 

Another thing is I'm looking at relocating out of state with purchasing a home there. My job will transfer and have similar income. Any help is appreciated. 

Hi @TattnallTrio,

If you live in or around Glennville you could check in to a no money down USDA loan.

VA Mortgage Expert. Mortgage Banker lending in All 50 States.
VA, FHA, USDA. Jumbo, Conventional.
CAIVRS Expert.
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.