cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$7,500 Tax Credit is NOW..... FREE MONEY?!?!?!?!?!? Holy Cow!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: $7,500 Tax Credit is NOW..... FREE MONEY?!?!?!?!?!? Holy Cow!!

Not sure if I was reading this article correct but it looks as if the Bill being presented to the Senate also makes the credit available until the end of august........

Both the Senate and the House versions of the new act remove the requirement that buyers repay the credit. The Senate bill applies retroactively to any purchase completed between January 1, 2009 and the end of August. The House version is also retroactive to the start of the year, and expires at the end of June. As long as buyers don't sell for at least 36 months, they keep the money.

http://money.cnn.com/2009/01/29/real_estate/tax_credit_near/index.htm?postversion=2009012907

Message 11 of 329
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was reading the same article today but does it mean that people who bought their home in  2008 does not qualify for this tax credit?  For example I bought my home in June of 2008 does it mean I would have to pay the $7,500 over 15 years?
Message 12 of 329
LisaJ
Frequent Contributor

Not everyone who is getting the loan/rebate/whatever is irresponsible.

I was a single mom for many years, living in a teensy apartment and saving every last dime for a future.  I had many people offer to help me "get a house" with a piggyback loan, etc., but I held true to my gut which was screaming "No".  For a time I lived with my sister, but by the time I was in good enough financial shape to buy my own home, the housing here in Florida was over the top expensive, driven up by the market that now sees people in foreclosure because they used their homes as ATMs, or because they were put into a house that someone should have known was not affordable.

This year, through our diligence and planning and saving, we were able to get an FHA loan for a home I never imagined I could have.  It is a fixer upper and needs some work, but we bought in a good neighborhood for almost half of what we would have paid three years ago.

The $7500 I am getting back will go toward needed repairs and extra principle payments. I do feel the frustration of those that bought responsibly years ago, but not all recent home buyers are irresponsible. I would gladly pay the money back, but it would be wonderful for me and my family if I did not have to do so.

WOW! EQ when I joined myFICO: 657. Ups and downs and a few bumps and bruises, but finally back over 700. Whew!

Message 13 of 329
Anonymous
Not applicable

Such great news.

I have read many board and have seen alot of "old timers" complaining about the credit. Either way , I am happy to say im a first time home buyer and if all goes well I will be claiming my free 7500 dollars !

Message 14 of 329
Anonymous
Not applicable

You know what else I just thought of.  I am self-employed and I literally am paying thousands more in income tax this year due to the fact that I had to forego many allowable business deductions in order to get my documented income where I need it to be in order to qualify. Perhaps this credit will make this a wash for me this year. That would be really nice considering I wayyyyy overpaid to get myself into a home this year!
Message 15 of 329
KLGFCG
New Contributor

I know I'm being sour grapes, but this whole fiasco is a bit of a kick in the teeth to those who closed just before the new 2009 cut-off. I closed November 18, interest rates promptly dove at least 1% and now, the $7500 credit looks like it'll be free money.... if I'd only closed 2 months later. I know this type of thing is a crapshoot and those who closed before the $7500 credit got nothing. I also know that $7500 interest free is still a fabulous deal and I love my house, but I just wanted to whine a little. The MI housing market is going nowhere fast and I probably could have waited, got the same house, had lower payments, and gotten free money. Sigh. Anybody want to make my day and say there's a tiny chance they'll just make the no payback retroactive all the way back?

Message 16 of 329
Anonymous
Not applicable

@KLGFCG wrote:

I know I'm being sour grapes, but this whole fiasco is a bit of a kick in the teeth to those who closed just before the new 2009 cut-off. I closed November 18, interest rates promptly dove at least 1% and now, the $7500 credit looks like it'll be free money.... if I'd only closed 2 months later. I know this type of thing is a crapshoot and those who closed before the $7500 credit got nothing. I also know that $7500 interest free is still a fabulous deal and I love my house, but I just wanted to whine a little. The MI housing market is going nowhere fast and I probably could have waited, got the same house, had lower payments, and gotten free money. Sigh. Anybody want to make my day and say there's a tiny chance they'll just make the no payback retroactive all the way back?

TOTALLY understand the want to whine about missing this by just a hair. That would be my luck. I've never had much in way of good fortune. Always missed things just by a smidge!  Hopefully it will be retroactive to the date they first initiated the credit. The bright side is that you now own a home of your own and even if the housing market isn't going anywhere, you have a HOME and you aren't paying anyone's mortgage, you are paying your own. I could honestly care less about tax credits or loans. I wasn't going to take the loan, but if i can get the tax credit, especially after paying out the butt in order to be able to purchase my home this year, it'll be a nice unexpected surprise. Regardless though, I'll be darn happy just to be sitting on the dirty little floor of my fixer upper after closing.  Try not to feel ripped off, I'm jealous of you!

Message 17 of 329
rivernh
Contributor

I'm not sure how this first time homebuyer credit can be considered a kick in the teeth to responsible home owners.

This is targeted at people waited out the overpriced market to buy a house....not the people taking mortgages they couldn't afford.

I will be buying in the time frame, and I'm not sure I will qualify for it incomewise. (We will have to wait and see how 2009 comes out in the wash...), however it *is* a small security blanket for me making the decision to buy, as a self employed single person.  If my income falls lower then I expect in 2009, at least it will lower  my tax liability a bit too. 

Message 18 of 329
Anonymous
Not applicable

KLGFCG, I'm in the same boat. Closed 08/08. Oh well, $500 per year payback isn't the end of the world but I agree that it sure seems a little unfair if they go with the Jan 1, 2009 date.
Message 19 of 329
Anonymous
Not applicable

Whether you made the cutoff or just missed it,

this is a GREAT deal. Smiley Happy

We've all experienced that sinking feeling in our stomachs

when we bought things on sale at a "great price" --- only to see

the very same items somewhere else 30% cheaper. So we make

the best deal we can as the opportunities present themselves to us.

The most important thing is that we honor our agreements, which is

something the major banks and Wall Street have gone out of their way

to avoid. Smiley Surprised

But like UpUpUp pointed out, the only portion I don't like

is that the tax credit can be used as a downpayment.

I believe someone should qualify for a mortgage, get approved

for a mortgage and go to closing for that mortgage. THEN

you should get the tax credit...not before. I also like the

fact that the credit doesn't need to be paid back as long

as you stay in the home for 3 years. This will promote

neighborhood stability, price stability and future appreciation. 

So like I said, anyway you slice it this is a good thing.

It is targeted help at the very industry that caused the

problem in the first place. To me, that's money well invested.

CanDo

"The right attitude is everything"

Message 20 of 329
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.