Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A question about FHA and gift money

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

A question about FHA and gift money

Hello and welcome. I split your post off to start a new thread. All I changed is the title - MarineVietVet, myFICO moderator

hi i am applying for a fha loan i was given 2000 cash by a friend and 2000 cash from a famiy member both withdrew cash from there bank accout i was told it would not be used in the calulations because it cannot be documented since it was cash is this true ?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: A question about FHA and gift money

Right, the underwriters don't like cash even if it was withdrawn from their account. Who is to stay that they didn't keep the cash and you used "mattress money". That's how they look at it.

With my gift money, my dad had to get a certified check drawn from his account so there is a paper trail.

Message 2 of 5
birjest
Frequent Contributor

I am going through that right now!!!  My mother in-law is gifting me $4500 and they wanted a statement from her account.  It's the underwriter that want to be sure that the money is not coming from the builder or realtor/loan officer who is trying to make the deal.  It also has a lot to do with the Patriot Act as well.  They just want to document the funds.

5/30/15 EQ 596; TU 605; EX 580.
12/18/17 EQ 646; TU 660; EX 674.
7/30/23 EQ 708; TU 703; EX 721.
Message 3 of 5
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@birjest wrote:

I am going through that right now!!!  My mother in-law is gifting me $4500 and they wanted a statement from her account.  It's the underwriter that want to be sure that the money is not coming from the builder or realtor/loan officer who is trying to make the deal.  It also has a lot to do with the Patriot Act as well.  They just want to document the funds.

Just so you know. this provision from FHA has been in place long before the Patriot Act was ever even thought of..

In fact, the reasoning used to be to track cash because they wanted to make sure the funds were not coming from some sort of illegal activity. That is why the process for the gift funds is not only to show you received the funds from X but to show that X has had the funds seasoned in their bank account prior to gifting the funds to you.

Message 4 of 5
birjest
Frequent Contributor

Starting..I agree on the latter.  My LO keep bringing up the whole Patriot Act enactments.  I don't dispute that.  In fact my new LO did go into great length to explain that it prevent laundering the money from "a third party of interest" through family or friends.

5/30/15 EQ 596; TU 605; EX 580.
12/18/17 EQ 646; TU 660; EX 674.
7/30/23 EQ 708; TU 703; EX 721.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.