Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ARe home loans like car loans?

tag
sgomez1325
Established Member

ARe home loans like car loans?

What I mean by that is,  with a car loan, (at least at my local credit untion), if the car has equity in it, I can borrow that much more on the loan. What about a house? If there is equity in it, can I borrow more than the purchase price? (for home improvements and such). 

3 REPLIES 3
Cowboys4Life
Frequent Contributor

Re: ARe home loans like car loans?

@sgomez1325 wrote:

What I mean by that is,  with a car loan, (at least at my local credit untion), if the car has equity in it, I can borrow that much more on the loan. What about a house? If there is equity in it, can I borrow more than the purchase price? (for home improvements and such). 

Yes.  It is called a HELOC:  Home Equity Line Of Credit.  

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can also get a fixed loan, called an Home Equity Loan.  A HELOC works more similar to a Credit Card, but there will be time limits.  

Also, most Home Equity products do not necessarily let you borrow up to 100% of the value.  Many right now are capped at 80% of value.  For example, if your house appraises at $100,000, the total of your first mortgage the home equity product could be $80,000.  

Message 3 of 4
VALoanMaster
Valued Contributor

@sgomez1325 wrote:

No, it's not the same. If you are buying a home and you need money  for home improvements you'd need to do a renovation loan where the appraised value is based on the after repaired value of the home.

If you're talking about a home you already own, then yes, you can borrower based on the equity in your home.

VA Mortgage Expert. Mortgage Banker lending in All 50 States.
VA, FHA, USDA. Jumbo, Conventional.
CAIVRS Expert.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.